Things that move in pdf files

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:12 pm

I think you need to edit that quote.

gary-duane
Finale Version: Finale 2012

Post by gary-duane » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:38 am

BuonTempi wrote:
gary-duane wrote: No. I'm using whatever version of 2012 I bought, and since I have never once had a problem with it, that's what I continue to use.
You never had a problem with 2012? That is as rare an experience as the problems you've had with newer versions.! :lol:

Apropos of PDFs: I think I read that Windows 10 does, finally, produce PDFs natively. Staggered that it's taken so long.
Problem:

The program won't open.
The program suddenly closes while editing a file and things are unsaved.
Something big goes horribly wrong and a whole file is trashed.

If you are talking about "problems" as in "something does not work the way it is supposed to without headaches", that's quite a different matter. :)

But I've never hit a situation where I was not able to finally get what I wanted, or very VERY close. I'm not writing for orchestra or complicated ensembles.

I didn't mention things like a latency going into Finale that is so big that I can't play anything into Finale. That's a problem to solve sometime in the future. I believe I used to always record to a very simple midi program that would not screw things up, then load in that file into Finale and edit. I was never able to get a smooth play in using only one step.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:15 am

gary-duane wrote: The program won't open.
Is this still the case? Your other thread seems to suggest everything is now working.

I think it was 2012 that would crash with certain MIDI hardware. Or if you didn't have an audio input. Or some other things....
All fixed in updates, of course.

gary-duane

Post by gary-duane » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:15 am

BuonTempi wrote:
gary-duane wrote: The program won't open.
Is this still the case? Your other thread seems to suggest everything is now working.

I think it was 2012 that would crash with certain MIDI hardware. Or if you didn't have an audio input. Or some other things....
All fixed in updates, of course.
Yup. Same problem. The Make Music guys are baffled. So am I.

Tonight I was able to open Finale 25, save a file, edit, reopen other files, save again. All works so long as I do not close the program. Sometimes I can close it and open it again, but by around the 3rd try, max, it won't open at all. At that point 2012 will not open at all either.

2012 has no effect on 25. But 25 knocks bother versions out, and other minor weird stuff happens.

I get everything back rebooting.

So long as I do not open Finale 25, everything else works perfectly.

There is a conflict.

I SUSPECT there are two different things going on. The authorization problem started months ago, and I was too busy with other things to worry about it. But there have been at least two major Win20 updates, the latest being "Creators", and I believe that may be part of the problem.

Or not.

I won't know until it is fixed.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:33 am

Unfortunately, complex problems of this type are very difficult to solve remotely, by MM or anyone else. However, you should take heart that it does seem to be a rare issue and so should be fixable.
It may well mean other factors are involved, which could include a failing storage device; incorrect or missing OS components; corrupt registry or other files; or something else altogether. If you can find a tame local nerd to have a look at it, that would be best.

gary-duane

Post by gary-duane » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:53 am

Update:

For the time being I'm simply not bothering with the newer Finale. The old program continues to do everything I want.

The pdf problem is solved. It was coming from the Finale export feature to pdf, which simply does not work right. Instead I simply print to a pdf export program and everything displays perfectly and prints out perfectly.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:53 pm

The Finale Export to PDF has never worked correctly. We have all pretty much found alternatives.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:16 pm

I am in the same situation as you. We do a lot of teacher related projects in Finale. We use Fin25 but I prefer either of two third party pdf makers.
Cute PDF and/or doPDF. I have not seen any movement or changes to any document using either of these. I have tried the Finale included pdf maker and it seemed to work as well. I just got used to using the above because they work with any program.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

gary-duane

Post by gary-duane » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:06 pm

ebiggs1 wrote:I am in the same situation as you. We do a lot of teacher related projects in Finale. We use Fin25 but I prefer either of two third party pdf makers.
Cute PDF and/or doPDF. I have not seen any movement or changes to any document using either of these. I have tried the Finale included pdf maker and it seemed to work as well. I just got used to using the above because they work with any program.
The Finale included pdf maker moves a lot of stuff in my music, fingering, markings, sometimes other things. Very annoying.

Using the default Microsoft "printer" (which saves to pdf) so far is perfect and produces results just like Finale itself.

I'm using 2012, which continues to do everything I want and does not screw up every time Windows 10 does something else new.

Finale prints out perfectly for me, always has, so my only issue was sharing things with friends who don't have Finale or students who need to print out something at home.