How to use Score Merger Successfully

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:23 pm

On the suggestion of someone in an earlier post, in which I was asking how to get half-pages of parts onto one page, I am trying Score Merger, but not entirely with success. I merged the scores of all six songs into one document (I did save the originals, so they are untouched), and I am finding unwanted clef changes (not a big deal, as I can fix those easily enough); and changing of meters in which there are two different meters at the same time (also not a big deal, as those don't actually affect the two parts that I am generating).

But worst of all, only the titles for the first two songs exist in the parts; the other four have disappeared. They were created, of course, in Text Tool, which attaches things to specific pages. But since the part is many pages shorter than the score, those later pages to which the individual titles are attached, do not exist in the part.

Is there a solution to this? Or is there a better way to do the parts so that each one is in one continuous document?

Another suggestion was to generate the parts first, and then use Score Merger to make those one document. (Actually, the suggestion was to extract the parts--would it be better to extract them using "Extract Parts" than to use the linked parts?)

Thanks for your help!

Mark

Finale 25 (score originally copied in Finale in 1991-92, if that matters)
Mac OS 10.11.6

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by mark carlson » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:34 pm

I guess I can just copy and paste the titles from the score into the parts. Is that the way to go?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:47 pm

A general solution for movement titles when having multiple movements in the same document:

Insert an empty measure between the two movements.
Lock this measure in a separate system.
In this “in between” system, hide all staves, except one staff.
Now you have an empty 1-measure, 1-staff system between the two movements.
Use a staff style to make the “in between” staff display nothing: no clef, no key signature, no time signature, no staff-lines,
no barlines, &c.
In this “in between” system, attach the movement title as an expression.
This solution can also be used in the linked parts.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996