notes not even spaced when changing bars

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

drumstudio2000
Finale Version: finale 2010 and 2014
Operating System: Mac

Post by drumstudio2000 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:58 pm

Hi, im using Finale 2014 on windows 7 and I have 2 questions I would appreciate help on:

I need all spacing between notes be perfectly even.
Ive noticed that Finale allways space longer when changing measures (this is shown on the screenshot I took)...Ive tried all 3 music spacing options and no one fix this.
Is there a way to make all notes even, even those at the end of each measure?

2. (see screencapture 2)
I need also to have perfectly even measure withs, no matter how many measures I could have on a system, I need all of them allways even by default.
How to do this? If I create 4 new measures on 2 different systems they look even when blank, but If write something they are not even anymore and I have to manually adjust every one to make it even again. Also happens that if I manually make my measures even and later I have to re write something, it goes uneven again and I have to adjust all again...
Is there a way to do this by default, and telling Finale to respect it for new notes?

Really thanks!
drum!

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:54 pm

1) Go to Document Options > Notes and Rests and make sure "Spacing Before Music" and "Spacing After Music" are the same amount (Spacing After is negative). I'd suggest 1 space.

2) Enter all of the music - don't worry about measure widths for now. When done, lock the layout. Go to Document Options > Music Spacing and set both "Minimum Measure Width" and "Maximum Measure Width" to the same amount - any amount will do. With the Selection Tool, select all and run music spacing (Press 4). The measures will be forced to equal widths.

N.
Spacing1.jpg
Spacing1.jpg (58.62 KiB) Viewed 5178 times
Spacing2.jpg
Spacing2.jpg (33.62 KiB) Viewed 5178 times
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

drumstudio2000

Post by drumstudio2000 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:24 am

[quote="N Grossingink"]1) Go to Document Options > Notes and Rests and make sure "Spacing Before Music" and "Spacing After Music" are the same amount (Spacing After is negative). I'd suggest 1 space.

2) Enter all of the music - don't worry about measure widths for now. When done, lock the layout. Go to Document Options > Music Spacing and set both "Minimum Measure Width" and "Maximum Measure Width" to the same amount - any amount will do. With the Selection Tool, select all and run music spacing (Press 4). The measures will be forced to equal widths.

N.
you saved me, REALLY thanks!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

drumstudio2000

Post by drumstudio2000 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:14 pm

hi, I bring to life this post since now im getting my notes evenly spaced, but when I add lyrics to them, that even spacing is gone.
Is there a way to make adding lyrics don't mess the even spacing?
Thanks!

PS I there also a way to avoid having to select all my notes ant press number 4 (for making even spacing). I want to add notes and finale space them by itself (I use time signature spacing most of the time)

elbsound
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by elbsound » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Exclude lyrics from spacing. Uncheck Document Options->Music Spacing->Avoid Collision of->Lyrics.
But this may lead to collisions of lyrics when they are wider than the space for the notes.

drumstudio2000

Post by drumstudio2000 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:19 pm

elbsound wrote:Exclude lyrics from spacing. Uncheck Document Options->Music Spacing->Avoid Collision of->Lyrics.
But this may lead to collisions of lyrics when they are wider than the space for the notes.
It worked like charm...Really thanks! Do you know also how to set automated Time Signature Spacing so all the notes im writing gets that spacing without need of doing nothing else?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:23 pm

drumstudio2000 wrote:… Is there also a way to avoid having to select all my notes and press number 4 (for making even spacing). I want to add notes and finale space them by itself (I use time signature spacing most of the time)
Now I am confused.

There are 3 types of spacing:
- Note Spacing (= Music Spacing)
- Beat Spacing
- Time Signature Spacing

Pressing the number 4 key is the shortcut for Note Spacing (= Music Spacing).
But that is not the same as Time Signature Spacing.

Do you mean Note Spacing or Time Signature Spacing?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

drumstudio2000

Post by drumstudio2000 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:43 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
drumstudio2000 wrote:… Is there also a way to avoid having to select all my notes and press number 4 (for making even spacing). I want to add notes and finale space them by itself (I use time signature spacing most of the time)
Now I am confused.

There are 3 types of spacing:
- Note Spacing (= Music Spacing)
- Beat Spacing
- Time Signature Spacing

Pressing the number 4 key is the shortcut for Note Spacing (= Music Spacing).

sorry, I said number 4 because that was the example you gave me earlier, but I use a shortcut ctr+6 to get my notes Time Signature Spaced. Sorry, my mistake. Is there a way to automate this by default? Thanks

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:04 pm

It might be better if, instead of using Time Signature Spacing, you used a scaling factor of 2 in your spacing options. This way, 2 eighths occupy the space of 1 quarter, 2 quarters occupy the space of 1 half, and so on. Everything will be evenly spaced. This is exactly what Time Signature Spacing does. See the window below.

N.
Spacing.png
Spacing.png (197.05 KiB) Viewed 4752 times
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:48 pm

drumstudio2000 wrote:
Peter Thomsen wrote: …Pressing the number 4 key is the shortcut for Note Spacing (= Music Spacing).

sorry, I said number 4 because that was the example you gave me earlier, but I use a shortcut ctr+6 to get my notes Time Signature Spaced. Sorry, my mistake. Is there a way to automate this by default? Thanks
A.
I think it was N Grossingink, who gave you the example with the number 4 key.

B.
Take a look at the program’s
Preferences - Edit

You can select the option “Automatic Music Spacing”.

This step will give you automatic Note Spacing (not automatic Time Signature Spacing).
But - as N Grossingink pointed out - you can give Note Spacing settings so that it works like Time Signature Spacing.

NB:
The setting “Automatic Music Spacing” is program specific, not document specific.
Beware!
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

drumstudio2000

Post by drumstudio2000 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:24 pm

[quote="N Grossingink"]1) Go to Document Options > Notes and Rests and make sure "Spacing Before Music" and "Spacing After Music" are the same amount (Spacing After is negative). I'd suggest 1 space.

N.

Hi, Im following this steps to make all my measures the same width and worked just fine, but Ive found a weird note placement when adding flams to my rhythms. Why is this happening and How to make this notes all evenly spaced as soon as they are entered? (and keeping the measures with even width)
Really thanks!