I think I accidentally deleted my file.

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

WrinkleyPotato
Operating System: Windows

Post by WrinkleyPotato » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:17 am

So I went to extract a part before I saved the score. (I thought it said export part). So I accidentally extracted one part, is there any way I can get the score back? I worked for multiple hours on the score and would be heartbroken to lose it. Thank you!

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:20 am

Extracting a part doesn't delete the file from which it comes. If you can't find the file, then trying opening the .bak file. That should be pretty much the same.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:35 am

Or perhaps the .asvx file.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:02 am

WrinkleyPotato wrote:So I went to extract a part before I saved the score. (I thought it said export part). So I accidentally extracted one part, is there any way I can get the score back? I worked for multiple hours on the score and would be heartbroken to lose it. Thank you!
Extracting a Part produces a separate document for each part. It does not alter the original document. Your original score should still be open, at least.
Unless the parts over-wrote the score document somehow, the score document should also still be on disk.
And of course you have a backup system in place to protect against deleted/over-written files?

I would advise using Linked Parts, which is having all the parts and score in the same document, rather than separately. That way, changes to the score are automatically updated in the parts.