Tim Davies Inspired Workflow Questions

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Piano Pete
Operating System: Windows

Post by Piano Pete » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:22 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeCuJfXhS9s

I have been going over Tim Davies's video after the midi import fiasco I had a bit ago to avoid any issues again. Having gone through the video a few times, I feel like I can greatly benefit from overhauling my current workflow, but I have some questions about how to do it.

1) How does one set up expressions to default at a specific distance from the staff? 46:32 is the spot in question, specifically the poco's relationship to the cresc marking. It looks like he uses TG align to do the over all spacing, but it does not look like he used it to place the poco.

2) What is an efficient way to get Finale to load custom expression libraries?

3) How do you guys typically deal with note spacing/measure sizes? Question 3 and 4 are where I feel that I am wasting a lot of my time.

4) How do you determine system size and scale on works that go from large tutti sections to pages with multiple system breaks. Do you determine the score's scale based on the section with the most staves? I dislike reading scores that have large notes and then micro notes page to page, in addition to works that contain a lot of deadspace that could be used.

5) 50:00- 50:40, is this TGtools he is using to split the voicings and remove specific chord tones? If it is, I am ashamed that I have been ignoring this feature.

6) How do you guys set up your macros? I have had horrible experiences with this in the past. I tried using midi notes to send commands, but it kept activating them when I was inputting things with my main keyboard. Is there a way to split what devices Finale listens to? I tried this a few years ago, but now that I think about it, I believe I had it on the same channels as my piano.

7) It looks like Davies uses Oscillator and Keyboard Maestro to handle his keybinds and macros, but as I am on windows, I cannot take advantage of these programs. Any suggested windows alternatives, or should I be using my cheese grater to engrave?
Windows 10
Finale: 2012, 25

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:39 pm

Here are some thoughts. You seem to have an interest in what I'll call the "commercial" music field. I don't usually work in that field - I'm in publishing with occasional recording session work. So perhaps take some of my thoughts with a bit of caution.

1) You can adjust the default positioning of any expression. For a "poco" that appears lower, beneath the hairpin, try editing the expression's baseline setting as in the following:
Poco.png
Poco.png (102.11 KiB) Viewed 2980 times
Yes, he's using the TG Tools "Align Dynamics" but probably that of the full TG Tools, not the version included with Finale. The full version works with hotkeys, which you can map to a macro program.

2) An easier way to deal with custom expressions is to add them to your Finale default file. That way every new file you start or MIDI import will contain your preferred custom expressions.

3) You can make measure widths wider on a temporary basis by setting the "minimum measure width" to a wider value, in Music Spacing options. You could try 1.5". To return to normal measure widths, reset the value to zero and respace the music.

4) I don't know what kind of music you compose or orchestrate, the length of each score, or the page size of your score, but in commercial music conductors and producers usually prefer that each score page contain all staves. You can, of course, hide staves in order to get 2 or more systems per page. If you write for a larger ensemble (orchestra, jazz ensemble) I'd go no more than 2 systems on a page. Set the page percentage to accommodate these 2 systems. There will be a lot of trial and error involved, which is why a full page on each page of the score is much simpler.

5) Again, he's using the full TG Tools: "Smart Explosion of Multi-Part Staves" (distributes 3 note chords on one stave to 3 single line staves, copying dynamics) and "Process Extracted Parts" (filters out a chosen voice from staves containing 2 or more voices). I think he's also using one of the JW plugins, but the window zoomed by so quickly I couldn't see which one.

6+7) Tim Davies is using QuicKeys for his macros. Since QK is no longer being developed, Keyboard Maestro seems to be the current choice for Macintosh. There are several macro programs for Windows, but most of them are free. That tells me they probably don't have the power to do what's needed. Most who work in the commercial music field seem to favor the Macintosh platform. You can get a brand new Mac Mini for $600 that should do nicely.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:59 pm

I use "Staff reference line" for things I want a fixed distance from the staff.

Piano Pete

Post by Piano Pete » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:49 am

Thank you for the comments!

I am definitely getting in a position where I need to be commercially viable in my workflow. Not quite a serious demand yet, but it is time that I start making that switch.

I have been looking for window's alternatives, and you seem to be right, there are a few options that just seem to be missing from them. I am sure with some finagling it could be managed, but since my main setup is all centered on PC, I would prefer to keep everything on one system; however, I have a pimped-out mac pro, cheese grater, that I use for logic when needed and to host video, so I may just switch over for engraving.

Do you know if v25 can read 2012 default documents? I have not made the switch to 25 after hearing some stability issues, but I technically own it.

Thank you again for the replies and picture, definitely a big help.
Windows 10
Finale: 2012, 25

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:06 am

v25 should be able to read 2012 documents.