Page Margin Question

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Olimar12345
Finale Version: V26, 2012c
Operating System: Windows

Post by Olimar12345 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:38 pm

Hello all! I frequently have this issue while working with Finale (2012). While writing I'll adjust the page size, orientation, margins, etc. with the Page Layout Tool and set it to affect all pages. However, once I add a page said new page is back to the original formatting. Is there a way to adjust these settings for a more permanent effect?

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:44 pm

You must make changes to Document->Page Format as well. In the Page Layout tool there is a menu item Update Page Format for Score; I've never used it, but it's supposed to change the page format to conform to the page you're working on.

Olimar12345
Finale Version: V26, 2012c

Post by Olimar12345 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:48 pm

Thank you so much! That did the trick. Also, for the record, I tested the Update Page Format for Score option and it yielded no results.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:53 pm

Olimar12345 wrote:Also, for the record, I tested the Update Page Format for Score option and it yielded no results.
Update Page Format for Score adjusts the settings in Page Format to whatever changes you make with the Page Layout tool's menu. Thus, future pages will carry whatever changes you've made. Existing pages will not be altered (except for the one you made the changes to).

Think of Page Format settings as the "Master Page". Normally, changes you make to a given page will not affect the Master, unless you check "Update Page Format". New Pages are based on the Master. Changes to the Master Page are not applied to existing pages until you Redefine them.

motet

Post by motet » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:49 pm

If it's just a matter of margins, "Redefine Pages" is not the way to go.

He's right--I changed the right page margin of page 1, then did "Update page layout for score" and it didn't change anything. Quelle surprise!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:32 pm

motet wrote:If it's just a matter of margins, "Redefine Pages" is not the way to go …
Redefine Pages will update all formatting (Page Size, Page Orientation, Scaling Percentage &c.).

If you only want to change margins, then just do it.
You can tell Finale, in which region you want to change the margins.

motet wrote:… I changed the right page margin of page 1, then did "Update page layout for score" and it didn't change anything. Quelle surprise!
I think that this is a misunderstanding.

First of all, the wording is “Update Page Format for Score”.

Secondly, “Update Page Format for Score” is an automatic setting, not a command:
First, take a look at the settings in “Page Format for Score”, and remember the settings.
Next, toggle “Update Page Format for Score” on.
Next, make a format change on any page (like e. g. change any margin).
Last, take a new look at the settings in “Page Format for Score”, and note that the settings have been updated.
I guess that the wording would be clearer, if the word “Automatically” were added:
“Update Page Format for Score Automatically”

Third, “Update Page Format for Score” is a program specific setting, not a document specific setting.
To avoid unexpected surprises in other documents I tend to keep “Update Page Format for Score” off, and only have it on as long as needed.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:39 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:Secondly, “Update Page Format for Score” is an automatic setting, not a command:
Yes. Page Format is only updated when changes are made AFTER that setting is checked.

Turn on Update.
Make a change.
That change is now updated to Page Format.

motet

Post by motet » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:39 pm

Thanks for clarifying. I think it would be more useful as a command, actually.