dividing a measure in two

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

lynndavidnewton
Finale Version: 25.5.0.259
Operating System: Mac

Post by lynndavidnewton » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:18 pm

Latest Finale, latest Mac OS.

Is there a simple way to take a single measure and divide it in isolation?
For instance, say I have an ordinary passage that's in 6/4, some quarter
note melody that goes on for a while. There's a measure in there that
I want to divide so there is one measure of 4/4 followed by one measure
of 2/4, and I DON'T WANT to mess with anything that follows so that,
even temporarily if possible. (Because God help me if I make a
mistake.)

The problem I'm worried about is that once I set 4/4 for the 6/4 bar
it immediately shoves everything over until I go and then set 2/4 in
the next beat and then 6/4 two beats later.

The problem is the score I'm working on is rhythmically complex (like 1950s
Stockhausen), and I don't trust Finale not to lose its mind if I do that, especially
since my plan is to do this in well over 30 places in one movement.

Anyone who has been following my recent spate of questions may be able to
guess my reason for wanting to do this. I'll save the explanation for until
it's needed.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:07 pm

There is a plugin for splitting a measure.

Zuill

P.S.: After applying the plugin, there are a few adjustments to be made, but that instruction can wait until after you decide to give that technique a try.
Last edited by zuill on Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:12 pm

Depends on what you want to do. If the music is already entered and you want the time signatures shown (6/4 4/4 2/4 6/4) then insert a 2/4 measure after the one you want to divide. Using the time signature dialog rather than right-clicking, set it to 2/4 and specify "measures 23 to 23" or whatever number it is. Then change the measure you want to divide to 4/4 using the same method. Finally, visit that now-overstuffed measure with the Speedy Entry tool with "check for extra notes" set, and when it warns you (when you leave the measure), tell it to push the extra notes to the next (2/4) measure.

Slip. The plug-in will, however, hide time signatures, which you will have to undo. If you use it, pay attention to the parameters.

Peter S.
Finale Version: Finale 2009, 27

Post by Peter S. » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:56 am

What I would do first - before the operation above: Fix the measures in your layout by selecting all (Ctrl + A) and then clicking "L" (for "lock"). Otherwise it could happen that finale moves measures...

Peter
Finale 2009 and 27/German on Windows 10

Alex Rockwell
Finale Version: 26.3.1.520

Post by Alex Rockwell » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:14 pm

You can change the time signature of a given measure without automatically changing the following. In this situation, I would do the following:

1. Insert an empty measure following the measure you are trying to split (so highlight the measure FOLLOWING the split, Edit > Insert Measure Stack > 1 measure).
2. Double-click the new measure with the Time Signature Tool, set the sliders to 2/4, and under Measure Region, choose the option "Measure: [ ] through: [ ]" (Measure 5 through 5, for example. Whatever measure it is). Click OK.
3. Copy/Cut and Paste the 2/4 stuff out of the end of the previous measure. Delete the 2/4 stuff from previous measure.
4. Change the time signature of the previous measure to 4/4 using the same measure region restriction as above, and delete any leftover rests if needed, depending on what your entry preferences are.

It's a tad tedious, especially if you're doing it 30+ times, but it'll get the job done without any freakouts.