two straight lines questions

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

lynndavidnewton
Finale Version: 25.5.0.259
Operating System: Mac

Post by lynndavidnewton » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:41 pm

Two related questions:

(1) Is there a way to thicken the stretchable straight line produced by the Line Tool in the Shapes Palette? Just a teensy bit would help.
Also, I would not want to set the default. I have a special need for such a symbol.

(2) Is there a standard way to put a slash through a small-size set of notes on a single beam that represent essentially a string of grace notes?
I've just been using the Line Tool for that, but these tend to be eyeballed as to length and angle and placement. Maybe there's a better way?
I'm assuming readers know what I'm talking about, but here's an example:
grace.jpg
grace.jpg (30.15 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
Thanks.

lynndavidnewton

Post by lynndavidnewton » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:49 pm

I should probably ask the question whether these slashes through beams are even necessary. I guess to some composers
they suggest grace notes, and they seemed to be in vogue fifty years ago or so. But I can't tell that they serve a purpose
that is not obvious by the fact that the notes are small and in a long string.

Perhaps I should just take them out?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:03 pm

Jari has a plugin for slashing grace notes, if needed. I would just use more beams with a group that long, as to me, that is more clear.

As far as thickening a Smart Shape line, if it is for just one incident, I would create a custom line. Otherwise, you can change the stock line globally as well.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:27 pm

lynndavidnewton wrote:… Is there a standard way to put a slash through a small-size set of notes on a single beam that represent essentially a string of grace notes?
I've just been using the Line Tool for that, but these tend to be eyeballed as to length and angle and placement. Maybe there's a better way? …
If you need to control the precise line thickness, length and angle, create the slash in the Shape Designer.
You can use the shape as a shape expression, or as a shape articulation.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:29 pm

Jari's plugin does it by creating a shape articulation. After it is created, the shape can then be edited to change the thickness, if needed.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

lynndavidnewton

Post by lynndavidnewton » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:20 pm

zuill wrote:Jari has a plugin for slashing grace notes, if needed. I would just use more beams with a group that long, as to me, that is more clear.

As far as thickening a Smart Shape line, if it is for just one incident, I would create a custom line. Otherwise, you can change the stock line globally as well.

Zuill
Umm ... is this plugin for slashing grace notes something in the JW-Change plug-ins? Something I should already have?

I prefer what I've written in this case. In my mind it's clear, and in any case the piece was written about 54 years ago,
and it is what it is. I'm inclined to take out the slashes that are there. They aren't really actual grace notes. I entered
them as eighth notes played fast by setting a tempo with a hidden expression. Doing this sounded like a kluge
workaround but it turns out to work surprisingly well in playback.

I forgot about custom line. I actually need about eight of them. (I.e. the same one used about eight times.
They connect and zig zag. (A sort of graphic directive in the score.)

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:05 am

lynndavidnewton wrote:… I forgot about custom line. I actually need about eight of them. (I.e. the same one used about eight times.
They connect and zig zag. (A sort of graphic directive in the score.)
FYI:
In the Shape Designer there is a Multiline Tool, which does exactly that: create series of connecting lines.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996