Dynamics moved to the right in PDF

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Alex Rockwell
Finale Version: 26.3.1.520
Operating System: Windows

Post by Alex Rockwell » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:41 pm

Finale 2104.5
Windows 10

Pretty much every time I export a document as a PDF, I end up with dynamics that are moved slightly to the right. Curiously, it only affects dynamics on the piano side of the spectrum; mezzoforte, forte, etc. stay right where I put them. Consequently, I often end up with dynamics overlapping with expression text or hairpins or whatever, and I have to go back to the document and move a bunch of dynamics slightly to the left of where I want them. Then when I export to PDF, those dynamics are moved slightly to right, but end up closer to where I actually want them. Does this happen to anyone else?

My issues with this are:
a) It's really annoying.
b) It's imprecise, and I'd like to have greater control over the dynamic placement.

I like to export to PDF because it's easier proofreading before printing. Everything is in black and white and it's easier to catch items that were meant to be hidden or are out of place. Also, the print setup in Finale doesn't seem to allow for double-sided printing, so I prefer to print from Adobe.

Alex Rockwell
Finale Version: 26.3.1.520

Post by Alex Rockwell » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:12 pm

Bump

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:19 pm

I think we might need the file to test. This is not normal behavior, so I think it is file specific. if it happens with all files for you, but not for us, there's something up with how you're producing pdfs.

Does this happen with paper printing?

By the way, I do double sided printing from Finale all the time.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:04 pm

Rather than use Export to PDF, get yourself a PDF "printer" like CutePDF. The former has problems, reported here from time to time. CutePDF is free.