Hiding rests in multi-layer arpeggio passages?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

billrow
Finale Version: Finale 25.5.0.290
Operating System: Windows

Post by billrow » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:54 am

Maybe more of a general piano notation question than a Finale question. But maybe some pianist can help me.

The attached screen capture shows two ways of notating similar passages. The first two measures have rests hidden. Maybe too confusing, as you have to depend on the spacing for timing? The other two measures show rests for the "extra" layer. More clear I guess, but I wonder if the rests are necessary? Seem to make it look more cluttered. I would probably use pedal indications, as notes should sustain through each new chord. Or maybe to use ties to indicate holding notes out, which would seem even more cluttered. Any advice?? Thanks.

Ere Lievonen
Finale Version: Finale 2010b

Post by Ere Lievonen » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:01 am

Definitely better readable with the rests.
Finale 2010b. Finale user since 1994.
Windows 7 & Mac OS X 10.9.5

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:22 pm

I agree. There are times when rests aren't needed, but if spacing is not proportional, it can often be confusing without the rests. Keep them.

By the way, when we see the colors for layers, things often don't reveal their true nature. try printing a pdf or paper copy to see what things look like when all the notes are black. That will give you a better look at what the reader will see.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."