Title page etc. before the score

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Hector Pascal » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:38 am

Hi all,

To achieve my house style, I insert 6 "blank" pages (3 double-sided) before the score starts. On those pages, using the same design formula for all my scores, I put title page, notes, instrumentation page, text if applicable, etc.

Instead of adding these 6 pages manually after composing a score, can one make a Finale template of the 6 pages and then use that every time I create a new score (for various instrumentations) from the setup wizard?

Cheers,
Hector Pascal.

FwL
Finale Version: 2010, 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by FwL » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:30 am

You can certainly create a template with those pages ready to go, but as far as I know when you open a template with the setup wizard, you only get the last two pages of the wizard.... score information and score settings. You don't get any way to select the instrumentation.

Somebody else may come along with some interesting ideas, though.
A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules... often with the aid of unsuspecting musicians - Frank Zappa

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:01 pm

You can make your own personal "Document Style" file that has the 6 blank pages at the start. Just find the Document Style file you normally use with the Wizard, duplicate it, add the 6 pages to the duplicate, give it a identifiable name, and put it in the appropriate Document Style folder. Quit and restart Finale and your new file will appear in the Wizard under the Document Styles.

Document Styles are in User Folder > Library > Application Support > Make Music > Finale > Music Files > Document Styles.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:42 pm

If you're doing 6 pages of text matter before the music, I would (and indeed do) create them in an app that is capable of better text layout than Finale. Then make PDFs of the preface and the music, and combine them together.