Spatial Notation, wavy lines, etc.

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:52 pm

I'm editing a string quartet I copied in Finale in the early 90 (I first copied the piece in 1989 in a program from Utah that no longer exists).

I am hoping that someone has some suggestions about how to represent a brief part of the piece. Ideally, each instrument would have a box around a measure that is to be repeated for 8 seconds; each instrument starts it at a different time, in short succession; and then I would have the staff lines and barlines disappear, with some kind of wavy line to show that you continue this for the 8 seconds.

How can I:

1. create a box around each of these?
2. have the staff and barlines disappear for the duration of the repeating figure?
3. create some kind of wavy line to show the continuity of the repeating figure?

Attached is how I did it before, but it is far from ideal: I did it by hand in each copy of the score and each part, using repeat signs instead of a box.

Thanks for your help!

Mark
Last edited by mark carlson on Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:53 pm

I tried attaching my original version, but PDFs are not allowed, unfortunately. I wish I could should you what I did before, as it might make it easier to see what I was trying to do.

Mark

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:20 pm

See if you can make a ZIP archive of the PDF. That should attach. Evidently whoever designed this forum software was unaware that this is the 21st century.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:11 pm

How about as a JPG?

HaraldS
Finale Version: 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by HaraldS » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:02 am

For creating boxes around measures you can try my JWLua plugin below.

Harald
Finale 3.0-25.5, German edition, Windows 7
trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:28 am

HaraldS wrote:For creating boxes around measures you can try my JWLua plugin below.

Harald
When I opened that, all I got was a picture of a computer screen with EXEC in bright green on it.

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:05 am

I've made some progress, as you can see from the attached Finale file. The music in question is on p. 3, mm. 63-67.

One annoying problem remains:

In the viola, m. 64, I have used a staff style that is supposed to eliminate the barline at the end of the measure in that staff only. The barline is still there, not matter what I do. Can anyone see what I am doing wrong?

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Mark

HaraldS
Finale Version: 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by HaraldS » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:16 pm

mark carlson wrote:
HaraldS wrote:For creating boxes around measures you can try my JWLua plugin below.
When I opened that, all I got was a picture of a computer screen with EXEC in bright green on it.
I double-checked it, the ZIP file contains a LUA file to load into the JWLua plugin. You can see a german description with a picture of the created rectangles around measures here.
mark carlson wrote:In the viola, m. 64, I have used a staff style that is supposed to eliminate the barline at the end of the measure in that staff only. The barline is still there, not matter what I do. Can anyone see what I am doing wrong?
"Behaviors->Break barlines between staves" must be selected (=marked), "Items do display->barlines" must be deselected in the staff style definition. With these settings, the viola's barline is hidden in my F2014.

Harald
Finale 3.0-25.5, German edition, Windows 7
trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:40 pm

Aha! Thank you, Harland. Selecting "break barline between staves" did the trick!

Mark