Resizing staff name as staff is resized

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ZEduPT
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by ZEduPT » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:12 am

Hey people.

I have a question about staff resizing.

Well, when I resize a staff, using resize tool, if I have a name associated to it, how can the name be proportional resized?

This image shows the problem. The staff name remains at the same size.

Thanks a lot

(Finale Version No. 2014.0.3163
Windows)
Finale 2014.0.3163
Windows 10

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:33 am

Is it resized in the entire piece or just some places? If the former, and there are no parts, etc., you can change the point size of the staff name in the Score Manager. Otherwise, you will have define a staff style that specifies the smaller font and apply it where needed.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:34 am

Another idea:
Keep the staff name size, and adjust the name position so that it is vertically centered on the resized staff.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

ZEduPT
Finale Version: 2014

Post by ZEduPT » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:21 pm

motet wrote:Is it resized in the entire piece or just some places? If the former, and there are no parts, etc., you can change the point size of the staff name in the Score Manager. Otherwise, you will have define a staff style that specifies the smaller font and apply it where needed.
Well, it's resized almost in the entire piece. Well, but I have always to explicity specify the new font size? Can it be changed automatically, as it is when I resize all the system?

Peter Thomsen wrote:Another idea:
Keep the staff name size, and adjust the name position so that it is vertically centered on the resized staff.
Well, I agree with you and I prefer as you sugest, but, in this case, I need that the name changes size. It's interesting that if I resize all the system, the name's size changes.
Finale 2014.0.3163
Windows 10

Alex Rockwell
Finale Version: 26.3.1.520

Post by Alex Rockwell » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:42 pm

Are you only resizing the staves with the resize tool? If you are, it sounds like you're effectively reducing the size of everything on the page, with perhaps the exception of title text, page numbers, etc.

Anywhere you're able to specify a point size, there's a check box somewhere that says "Fixed size." Checking this causes the fonts to remain in their true point size, rather than proportionately resizing along with everything else. If you want the staff names to stay proportionate to their respective staves, you should specify the default 100% point size in the Document Options and make sure Fixed Size is unchecked.