Music keeps disappearing from saved files

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Melisande
Finale Version: Finale NotePad 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by Melisande » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:14 pm

Today, I opened a file I haven't touched for a month or so. Unfortunately, I found that only the first page of the ten page piece remained -- everything else was just blank staves. I checked all my previous versions of this file and they were all like this. Then, I checked the automatically generated backup files. The first one had exactly the same problem, but fortunately, the second one I checked had all the music still there.

This is really unacceptable -- and unnerving. What on earth is going wrong? I know I didn't touch these files over the last month and there is no way that I somehow accidentally deleted nine pages from all four version that I had.

What is going on? Anyone? How can I prevent this from happening in the future? Has anyone else had a problem like this?

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:15 pm

If you still have one of the bad files, open it and from the Utilities Menu, choose "Update Layout". Is the missing music now visible? I won't say that this has never happened to anyone, but it would be termed a rare occurrence. It's never happened to me.

The only other suggestion I have is to check the Preferences and renew them if necessary. These instructions are for Finale, but should work for Note Pad as well:
https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... inale-etc-

I just noticed that your forum profile says you're using Note Pad 2012. The Update command might not be available in that software. I'd suggest you upgrade to the latest version of full Finale 25. You'd then enjoy full featured software. Make Music runs periodic specials on Finale, usually under $100. They often have an "April Fool's Special" (April 1) and that's coming up within a week, if they decide to do it again.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Hector Pascal » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:17 am

Hi all,
I was interested to read this thread because it reminded me of this different but possibly related scenario:

I booted up Finale and opened a file that I had been working on daily for weeks without problems. The first page showed, but the second page appeared completely blank (no music, no staves, nothing), the third page was also completely blank, but the rest of the score appeared. So, I immediately pressed Command D to redraw the screen, but that had no effect. I then went update layout, but that had no effect. Then I remembered an old trick that I had found when this happened to me before. I opened a second window, the second window appeared with all the music intact, then I closed the first window and continued merrily along my way using the open window, albeit with two slightly raised eyebrows.

The moral of my story: If this scenario happens to you, try opening a second window.

Cheerio,
Hector.
Fin 25, Mac Sierra