Caesura attach to Multi-Measure Rest???

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

BugleMe
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by BugleMe » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:48 pm

I am running Finale 2014.5 on a Mac.
Does anyone know how to add a Caesura to the end of a Multi-Measure rest?
Is this even possible with Finale? I can create an empty measure and add it to that rest but not a Multi-Measure.

Thanks for your attention to this small problem I'm having.

Scott

Gareth Green
Finale Version: Finale 26.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by Gareth Green » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:18 pm

When I've been faced with this issue in the past, I've found it easier to create the caesura as an expression and attach it to the RH barline of the final measure of the rest.
Gareth J. Green
FIn26
Win10

BugleMe
Finale Version: 2014.5

Post by BugleMe » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:15 pm

Thanks Gareth, that's a pretty good work around!
That Expression Designer is a bit finicky to work with and requires many "go back and futz with it" efforts.
But I managed to get it to look acceptable.

Gareth Green

Post by Gareth Green » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:37 pm

BugleMe wrote: That Expression Designer is a bit finicky to work with and requires many "go back and futz with it" efforts.
Not my experience. For clarification, I created it as a font character, not using the shape designer ...

I created a new category by duplicating the "Rehearsal Marks" category, and set positioning to:

Horizontal: Right Barline/Offset -0.1 (I use inches as UoM)
Vertical: Staff Reference line/Offset -0.1 (this centres it on the top staff line - your preference may differ)
Gareth J. Green
FIn26
Win10

danieldsax2020
Finale Version: Finale 2014

Post by danieldsax2020 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:34 pm

And then what?

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:18 pm

Gareth Green wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:18 pm
When I've been faced with this issue in the past, I've found it easier to create the caesura as an expression and attach it to the RH barline of the final measure of the rest.
You don't mean the left barline of the measure after the multimeasure rest?

My experience is that if you put it in any of the measures of the MM rest, one of these things happens: as a 'miscellaneous' expression fx. it doesn't show, and created in a category that breaks a MM rest, it does just that, breaks it. So how do you manage that? I might just have missed it.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

Gareth Green

Post by Gareth Green » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:52 pm

Anders Hedelin wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:18 pm
Gareth Green wrote:

My experience is that if you put it in any of the measures of the MM rest, one of these things happens: as a 'miscellaneous' expression fx. it doesn't show, and created in a category that breaks a MM rest, it does just that, breaks it. So how do you manage that? I might just have missed it.
As far as I can remember, I either created it as an expression in the rehearsal marks category, or duplicated that category. "Break Multi-Measure rest" can be turned off on a case-by-case basis in that category. Or perhaps I used another category where "Break MM Rest" can be turned off. It was a while back, and I can't even remember which project I was working on, so I can't check the particular file.
Gareth J. Green
FIn26
Win10

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:08 pm

Thanks for your reply, Gareth.

It's possible that your way works too, but here is what has worked for me - possibly I'm partly repeating myself, but to put it more clearly if anyone would have a use fore it:

Place the ceasura as a text expression (created in any category that does not break a MM rest) in the measure after the last one of the MM rest, horizontally position it to the left barline and give the deplacement as app. -0,25 cm. Vertical placement according to taste.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:39 pm

Anders Hedelin wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:18 pm
Gareth Green wrote:

Attaching it to the left barline of the measure after the rest would seem to fix it, except in the case where the system breaks at that point.

I'm assuming one wants the caesura at the end of the multimeasure rest (otherwise, the rest should be broken in two). One solution I've used, which is not ideal, is to define the expression as attached to the right barline and assign it to all staves. After creating the parts, where the MM rest problem occurs and thus is not visible, attach it again to the first measure of the multimeasure rest. It will then appear in the right place.