lost rehearsal marks..

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

rbsalyer
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by rbsalyer » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:22 pm

I'm running 2014.5 on an iMac....it's running fine...I think...

I moved and working on compositions became secondary. I've settled in the new home and want to get back to compostion. I'm trying to set rehearsal marks and all the rehearsal marks have disappeared. Actually the only thing present are the expression under Misc..everyhting else is empty...

any ideas?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:08 pm

If I understand you correctly, all expression categories are empty except the category Miscellaneous, right?

Does the problem happen in all documents, both in old documents, and in new documents/templates/document styles/default documents?
Does it happen in documents created by other Finale users?
In Other Words: Is the problem document specific, or is it program specific?

What about other items, such as e. g. chord suffixes, or articulations?
Have other items disappeared, too?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

rbsalyer

Post by rbsalyer » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:11 pm

you're correct. All categories are empty.
I opened a new document in 2014.5 and all the tabs under expressions are working...so the plan is to copy the music from the first one and paste it into the new one and go from there...

I opened an older document and the articulations are there...and chord suffixes....everything

i went back to the first document...the one where the rehearsal marks are missing...the articulations and chord suffixes are working...it's just the stuff under expressions and yet the misc tab is working....

it's a mystery....

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:34 pm

If your file was made in a version of Finale older than Finale 2009, that would account for the fact that all Expressions appear in the "Misc." category. Finale 2009 introduced the revamped Expression Tool with multiple categories for different types of expressions. Earlier files open in later Finale versions with the expressions thrown into "Misc." simply to make sure they still exist and display properly.

If you used expressions for your rehearsal marks they still should display and be found under "Misc.". But they don't. Did you use another means of creating rehearsal marks, such as via the Measure Tool? You might want to post a shortened version of your file so folks can have a look and troubleshoot.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

rbsalyer

Post by rbsalyer » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:10 pm

thanks for the explanation. Everything is in that Misc heading...and I was able to place a rehearsal mark..so the best bet would be to open a new doc...and paste the music there...then I would have the rehearsal marks under the rehearsal marks tab....

I suppose theer is some way to move stuff from misc to other categories...I'll see if I can figure that out....

thanks again for the help....

rb

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:13 pm

rbsalyer wrote:I suppose theer is some way to move stuff from misc to other categories...I'll see if I can figure that out....
Select one or several expressions and use the "Move to" button.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:20 pm

The button “Move To” is in the Expression Selection.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996