fix note collisions b/w layers

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

rjawad1
Finale Version: 27.4.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by rjawad1 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:05 am

I'm not sure how to deal with this. I want ties after the grace notes to the following notes. I put them in, but they are so short, they just look like thin vertical lines. And then the grace note in layer two is on top of layer one.
If I put the measure on a system by itself, the collisions go away, but the ties are still not visible. I tried putting in layer two first, and then layer one, but that didn't help.
v27.4.1, mac

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:26 pm

Try increasing the grace note offset, in Document Options > Grace Notes.

I still had to massage the note placement a bit.

(BTW, is there a beat missing, somewhere? As you can see, my notes didn't go where yours, did.)
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Vaughan
Finale Version: Finale 25

Post by Vaughan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:29 pm

For one thing, if the g' in layer 1 (assuming treble clef) starts on the 4th quarter of the measure, why is the e' in layer 2 underneath the a' in layer 1? Unless for some reason you've hidden a quarter rest in layer 2, shouldn't it be before the g'? That would certainly take care of one of the problems. As far as ties are concerned, this is occasionally one of the things we have to do manually. In document options/music spacing you can increase the minimum distance between notes with ties, but this can lead to unwanted spacing in other situations. Otherwise I would manually increase the distance between the grace note and the main note in this one instance, making sure you don't space the music afterwards, as well as tweaking the ties to be closer to both noteheads. I would strongly recommend one of the TGTools plugins (full version) which which you can, with a single keypress, insert (or remove) a small amount of space between two notes. In this case, I would use the Add/Remove Space in Measure plugin to increase the space between the 8th g' and the a' in layer 1. There are other ways to do this but this is the easiest.
Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 26, Sibelius 4 - 7, Dorico 2.2
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Jari's plugins
MacOS 10.14.2
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2018) 16 GB

Amsterdam

rjawad1
Finale Version: 27.4.1

Post by rjawad1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:12 am

Ok, thank you. I think I fixed it mostly by just using the note mover tool and the tie mover tool. Yes, sorry, layer two has some hidden rests.
v27.4.1, mac