Printing in Byzantine Hieroglyphics

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

not2old2play
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by not2old2play » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:04 am

I really need some help. I've been using PrintMusic 2014 and can get around fairly well. So I decided to upgrade to Finale 25. The installation seemed to go alright, Notation was no problem, had a few things to figure out, but got through my first 4-pager in pretty good shape - until I tried to print. That's when I discovered I can't play something that looks like Byzantine hieroglyphics, or something like that. Noteheads are weird symbols, everything is in the wrong place and whole measure rests are large dots. There are those who would swear that is exactly how I do play, but that's another post.

Dug around on line and found this is not a new issue. Replaced the fonts with MMFontWin.exe. No help. Deleted and reloaded the whole program. No help. Tried to use my old reliable PrintMusic - it now prints the same garbage. Got ahold of MakeMusic and asked for help. I was told to delete everything - again, create a new user and reload the program - again, print default document from the new user - HEY, it worked-- music!! Went back to my user, opened default document add a few notes and - voila - hieroglyphics Rats!! Back to PrintMusic - same garbage. Now I went to MakeMusic customer service and BEGGED for help. Haven't heard a word back. There are some mighty smart folks on here, I know, I've been lurking for a while. Y'all, I have some work to turn out and desperately need some help printing something resembling music. Sure would be appreciated.

elbsound
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5

Post by elbsound » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:56 am

How do you print?
Do you use a printer or do you print to PDF?
If to PDF, do you use Finale's Export to PDF function or do you use a virtual PDF printer?

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:08 am

I would try the two most basic, most suggested troubleshooting steps:

√ Shut down and restart computer
√ Check the Finale Preferences and replace if necessary - see here:
https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... inale-etc-

Rather than reinstalling Finale from scratch, you can ask the installer to do a "Custom Install" and choose the fonts only. Us Mac users sometimes have this same problem. There is a routine to "clean the font cache" which usually straightens things out. Does Windows have something similar, to fix font problems at the system level?

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

not2old2play
Finale Version: 25

Post by not2old2play » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:14 pm

Thanks for your replies - nice to know some is interested in my predicament-

elbsound - I've always just printed directly to my color laser from PrintMusic. Never had a problem. I tried printing in Finale to .pdf directly and that worked the one time I tried it using the .musx to .pdf virtual printer in Finale. I can live with the extra step and print from Acrobat if I have to now that I know it at least works - not the way it should be, but at least I found out that I can do this.

N Grossingink - Did the shutdown and restart thing several times - no help. Will try to work on Finale preferences later today. Many thanks.

Did get a email from MakeMusic support this morning. Keep in mind that there was NO problem with my computer with anything until I loaded Finale. Basically - 'Thanks for buying our product. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the program - it's your computer. You can have Microsoft try to fix your computer or delete EVERYTHING, reload Windows 10, reload all your programs and that will fix your printing problem. Have a wonderful day. Cheers.'
Seriously - rebuild my computer from the ground up to fix a problem that was not there before I loaded Finale!!!! Amazing.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:46 pm

not2old2play wrote:I was told to delete everything - again, create a new user and reload the program - again, print default document from the new user - HEY, it worked-- music!! Went back to my user, opened default document add a few notes and - voila - hieroglyphics Rats!! Back to PrintMusic - same garbage.
Clearly, the source of the problem lies in the user account area, and no amount of installing and reinstalling will help. You need to figure out what the difference is between the two user accounts. I'm not a Windows guy, but on Macs, there are user settings and user cache files, and problems of this sort can frequently be fixed by deleting or resetting preferences and clearing caches. Check on Windows support forums for solutions to user-specific problems.

I would also check whether you can print the Finale fonts from other applications in the original user account, as that might suggest a font cache issue.