How to create Rehearsal Mark for only specific staves

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

wonder
Finale Version: v26
Operating System: Mac

Post by wonder » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:05 am

I'm trying to create a rehearsal mark with a Metatool "M"....which I've successfully done.

But, within the Rehearsal Marks categories, the staff lists appears and I'm not able to put the Rehearsal Mark on only the staff I want it on...its only placing it on the pre-defined staves within the Staff List.

If I move the expression to another Category, it gets messed up and doesnt display the auto-sequencing style that was created by Finale.

Basically, I want to throw Measure Numbers on top of any specific staff that has multi measure rests so it will be easier to see the measure numbers for entrance.

Is there a way to make that expression ONLY assigned to the staff I enter it on?
Finale v26, Digital Performer 9, ProTools 12. Mac.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:34 am

wonder wrote:… within the Rehearsal Marks categories, the staff lists appears and I'm not able to put the Rehearsal Mark on only the staff I want it on...its only placing it on the pre-defined staves within the Staff List.

If I move the expression to another Category, it gets messed up and doesnt display the auto-sequencing style that was created by Finale …

… Basically, I want to throw Measure Numbers on top of any specific staff that has multi measure rests so it will be easier to see the measure numbers for entrance …
Since you are talking about multimeasure rests, I suppose that your problem is in the parts, not in the score, right?
(Normally you do not have multimeasure rests in a score, only in the individual parts)

By The Way: In “Finale-speak” it is called a Score List, rather than a Staff List.
You can edit a Score List, and control, in which parts the expression is displayed.
wonder wrote:… Basically, I want to throw Measure Numbers on top of any specific staff that has multi measure rests so it will be easier to see the measure numbers for entrance …
Usually the measure number range is displayed below the multimeasure rest, rather than on top of it:
MultimeasureRestMeasureRange.gif
This can be done with the Measure Tool (instead of the Expression Tool):
Set up a Measure Number Region that displays measure number range on multimeasure rests.

wonder wrote:… Is there a way to make that expression ONLY assigned to the staff I enter it on?
You can duplicate the expression category Rehearsal Marks, and edit the duplicate category so that it uses another Score List.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

wonder

Post by wonder » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:30 am

Thanks for the reply.

I already have Multimeasure rests displaying measure numbers.

I'm creating live band charts so I'm doing something a little bit unconventional in wanting to add a measure marker after a long rest or long section of repeated measures like so (pictured).

Issue is, all the rehearsal marks in the Expression Dialogue are assigned to Score Lists and I can't just add the measure marker to any given staff I want to like I can with other expressions that aren't in a category with score lists.

See picture with the MMarker "11" as an example.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:35 pm

wonder wrote:… Issue is, all the rehearsal marks in the Expression Dialogue are assigned to Score Lists and I can't just add the measure marker to any given staff I want to like I can with other expressions that aren't in a category with score lists …
Why can you not “just add the measure marker to any given staff”?
I am afraid I do not understand.

We are still talking about the linked parts, not the score, right?

When you edit a Score List, there are two columns, one column for the score, and another column for the linked parts.

While you probably only select a few staves in the Score column, you are not forced to select (only) the same staves in the Part column - you can select any staves in the Part column, e.g. all the staves.

What am I missing here?

If I misunderstand you, then I apologize.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:05 pm

One can duplicate the Rehearsal Mark category, and then use a different Score List to customize the appearance of the rehearsal marks. However, there are only 8 Score Lists available. If you want one expression for each of the staves, you're out of luck if you have more than 8 staves.

The other way to do things is to not count on auto sequencing. Just make a mark for each place needed manually. That's the way we did things in the old days.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

wonder

Post by wonder » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:05 am

Peter Thomsen wrote:
wonder wrote:… Issue is, all the rehearsal marks in the Expression Dialogue are assigned to Score Lists and I can't just add the measure marker to any given staff I want to like I can with other expressions that aren't in a category with score lists …
Why can you not “just add the measure marker to any given staff”?
I am afraid I do not understand.

We are still talking about the linked parts, not the score, right?

When you edit a Score List, there are two columns, one column for the score, and another column for the linked parts.

While you probably only select a few staves in the Score column, you are not forced to select (only) the same staves in the Part column - you can select any staves in the Part column, e.g. all the staves.

What am I missing here?

If I misunderstand you, then I apologize.

Apologies ... maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly.

When I want to add an expression thats in the, say, Miscellaneous category, next to the "Assign" button we have the pull down menu to able to assign it to any stave(s) I want.

When I'm going to select the Rehearsal Marks, the button on the side of the "Assign" button is greyed out because it's in the Rehearsal Marks Category that is already assigning WHICH staves to apply to due to the "Score List".

I'm trying to apply these Measure Markers to only the staves I need them on WHEN I need them.

I guess I could just make them by hand each time I want to use them ... but that sort of defeats the purpose of adding them quickly with a meta tool.

I assuming one can't simply move the Auto-Sequenced expression to a category that doesn't use Score Lists ... I tried that and the formatting of the Measure Number expression got all messed up.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:49 am

wonder,

There are 4 types of expression categories:
- categories without a Score List, but with a Staff Assignment List instead (the default categories of this type are Dynamics, Expressive Text, and Technique Text)
- categories with a Score List, of the type Tempo Marks (which has a Number Font)
- categories with a Score List, of the type Tempo Alterations
- categories with a Score List, of the type Rehearsal Marks (which has the “smart” marks that can be an Auto-Sequence or Measure Numbers)

You can create more categories of a certain type by duplicating and editing an existing category.

The smart thing about categories is that you can edit a category, and e. g. change a font, and all the expressions in that category will be updated with the edit.

And then there is the Miscellaneous category.
The category Miscellaneous is the “non-category” category, with none of the above mentioned features.
When Finale opens a document created in an older Finale version without expression categories, then all the document’s expressions are placed in the Miscellanous category.

To solve your problem I would duplicate the category Rehearsal Marks, and edit the duplicate - with a name, perhaps “Measure Number, Flute“, and Positioning/Font settings.
To avoid that the Measure Number shows up in the other linked parts, use multiple duplicates of the category Rehearsal Marks, and use a different Score List in each duplicate category.
As Zuill points out, you can only use 8 different Score Lists.

By The Way:
You can edit a Score List, and e. g. give it a descriptive Name - like “Flute Part”.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:04 am

Myself, I'd do what Zuill suggests - the old-fashioned way.

Duplicate the Rehearsal Mark you are using and use the "Move To" function to move it to the Misc. category. It is now a non-functioning rehearsal mark but retains the font style and square enclosure. Use "Edit" to change to the measure number for the first occurrence. Duplicate this mark for the next one, and so on and so forth.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

wonder

Post by wonder » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:51 pm

thank you for the replies. I'll try these tips.