4K resolution issues

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

dankreider
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by dankreider » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:07 am

I just upgraded to a 4K laptop and opened a Finale file... and just about fell out of my chair.

IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL.

But I'm noticing a couple problems:

- redrawing takes way longer than it used it. Even when I click to select (and highlight) a staff system, or click and drag to move a staff up or down, the screen goes blank as it's thinking. The change from my previous 1080 laptop is striking.
- Same thing with dragging the syllable handles using the Adjust Syllables setting. On my 1080 machine, I could see everything move in real-time. Now, I get a blank flash as the items "reset."
- there are some dialog boxes that are messed up. For example, a double-click on measure tool to bring up measure attributes window.

Has anyone else run into similar problems with 4K?

My laptop should be pretty snappy. It's running the latest-gen i7, 16GB RAM, and a decent graphics card. Would upgrading to a faster graphics card help?

Thanks!
Dan
Finale 25.5
Windows 10
Garritan mostly
General Editor at gracemusic.us

Vaughan
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by Vaughan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:02 am

There have been several complaints about this on the Mac side with people using Retina or other high-resolution screens. Apparently Finale isn't able to deal with this well yet. Sadly, the only 'solution' I've read is to change to a lower resolution which, of course, isn't why you bought your 4K laptop in the first place. I would add your complaint to the list at MM.
Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 26, Sibelius 4 - 7, Dorico 2.2
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Jari's plugins
MacOS 10.14.2
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2018) 16 GB

Amsterdam

dankreider
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by dankreider » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:33 am

I'm sorry to hear that. Yes, that's precisely the reason I purchased a laptop with UHD. Hopefully MM is working on this. I can't imagine it's long until high-res monitors are standard fare. Even now they're hardly a new thing. I thought v25 claimed to have rectified issues relating to UHD?

Does anyone know if a more powerful graphics card would make a difference? Right now I'm running a Quadro M1200. Not a slouch, but there are more powerful options (which I assumed I didn't need, since I'm not a gamer).
Finale 25.5
Windows 10
Garritan mostly
General Editor at gracemusic.us

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:44 am

I don't believe that Finale has even caught onto the idea of shunting tasks to multiple cores, let alone graphics cards. Let's see what the next update will provide I can't imagine that MM isn't working on this, as well as something like Sibelius' magnetic layout.
Vaughan

MacOS 10.14.2

Amsterdam

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:29 pm

Vaughan wrote:There have been several complaints about this on the Mac side with people using Retina or other high-resolution screens. Apparently Finale isn't able to deal with this well yet.
My 2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro works beautifully with Finale. Compared to my 2012 Mini on a Thunderbolt Display, the display is amazingly crisp and precise, and overall performance is better (mostly due to the better GPU -- See below). There is a 'Scroll View scrolling issue' which I think is confined to HiRes displays, but even that's not too bothersome. Apart from that, I've not seen any issues.
There are some issues with HiRes on Windows, I believe. More testing data is welcome, so do let them know.
dankreider wrote:Does anyone know if a more powerful graphics card would make a difference?
I doubt the hardware is the limiting factor. Modern hardware is generally better than needed.
Vaughan wrote:I don't believe that Finale has even caught onto the idea of shunting tasks to multiple cores, let alone graphics cards.
Finale does indeed shunt tasks to multiple cores and graphics cards! Currently, Finale is using 19 threads on my quad-core Mini. Each of those can be run on a separate core, if the CPU and OS manage it so. Of course, it could contain more. DropBox currently seems to be doing nothing with 123 threads!

Finale, as an application, asks the OS to do things, and the OS negotiates with the graphics hardware. I would not want MM's 14 developers wasting time trying to to access GPUs any more directly than that!

There are of course inefficiencies, bottlenecks and problems in the code, like the fact that playback always maxes out one core, however powerful or weak the hardware. But I believe things are moving in the right direction, and generally, I find performance much better than in, say, 2012 (as others have said in a recent thread). However, you can always find someone with the opposite experience.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:40 pm

Thanks for setting me straight on that. I know that MM is working hard to replace old code and take modern hardware and operating systems into account but I'm relieved to read about the compatibility with high resolution displays. Perhaps those with problems haven't updated to the newest version.
Vaughan

MacOS 10.14.2

Amsterdam