OT: paper quality JW Pepper My Score

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Hector Pascal » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:51 am

Hi all,

Sorry for being off topic.... but,

As a Finale user, I read with interest the JW Pepper My Score project – it is a way for composers to make their music available (in PDF and print, and distributed).

I've read all I can find out, but am still wondering what the paper quality would be like for the printed scores/parts. I presume it would be very good, but would be interested to hear any opinions from those in the know.

Cheers,
Hector.

johnmouse
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by johnmouse » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:31 pm

I've used ePrint scores from Pepper. They are in pdf format, and I've not had any issues.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:51 am

Hector Pascal wrote:I've read all I can find out, but am still wondering what the paper quality would be like for the printed scores/parts. I presume it would be very good, but would be interested to hear any opinions from those in the know.
If it's anything like most of the print-on-demand book services, it's probably somewhere between not great and awful. :lol:

As a potential customer, you could ask if they'll send you a sample.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:11 pm

Perhaps more important than the quality of paper is how a printed score is delivered. If you think your score and parts will be made into booklet form, folded and stapled, that's probably not the case. More likely it's a stack of loose sheets on cheep paper, one sided for every page of the score and each part.

I'd urge you to, if you haven't already, establish your own web site to showcase your compositions. Take a look at other composer's sites and find a good model (like this http://tobiaspicker.com/). Biographical information, list of compositions, recent performances, endorsements and commissions, audio and video, etc. Offer your compositions for sale. Find a local printer that specializes in short runs and have your works printed and bound properly.

It may take a lot of time, some expenditure and you probably won't get rich.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:42 pm

N Grossingink wrote:It may take a lot of time, some expenditure and you probably won't get rich.
As the old publishing joke goes: "If I wanted to make money, I'd be a paper merchant".

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:51 pm

I would ask these questions of Pepper. Their cut of the proceeds is high enough (75% for printed parts, if I recall correctly) that they may indeed be of good quality.