Mac <--> PC

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tdlucas
Finale Version: Finale 2014 v27.0
Operating System: Windows

Post by tdlucas » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:33 am

I have Finale 2011 and must work between my iMac and my PC. I am having serious problems sending files between the two platforms. For one, Finale keeps shutting down on my iMac when I try to enter dynamics or articulations. For another, I sent a string quartet file to my PC that I had written on my iMac, and when I played the file on the PC, the cello part was totally inaudible. I am willing to upgrade, but only if the manufacturer has fixed the problem. Is it now safe to send files between the two platforms? Thanks. -Ted

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:57 am

tdlucas wrote:… For one, Finale keeps shutting down on my iMac when I try to enter dynamics or articulations …
This is not a problem that has anything to do with sending files between the two platforms.

Rather the problem is (most likely) a compatibility issue between Mac Finale 2011 and your current version of Mac OS X.
Finale 2011 was developed, and released, in 2010.

To fix, you can upgrade Finale, or downgrade Mac OS X.

tdlucas wrote:… For another, I sent a string quartet file to my PC that I had written on my iMac, and when I played the file on the PC, the cello part was totally inaudible. I am willing to upgrade, but only if the manufacturer has fixed the problem. Is it now safe to send files between the two platforms? …
If you use the SmartMusic softsynth as playback device, you should be safe.

The compatibility problems are isolated to playback with Audio Units (= VST).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

tdlucas

Post by tdlucas » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:44 am

Thank you for the reply. If I upgrade to the latest version of Finale, will I still have playback issues between to two platforms? I really need to hear the Garritan strings, not SoftSynth. -Ted

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:45 am

tdlucas wrote:… If I upgrade to the latest version of Finale, will I still have playback issues between to two platforms? I really need to hear the Garritan strings, not SoftSynth …
Yes.
The two platforms handle Audio Units (= VST) differently.
You will have to Reassign Playback Sounds (MIDI/Audio menu) when you open a Finale document on the other platform.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

tdlucas

Post by tdlucas » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:47 pm

Okay. Thanks.