Piece for 4 bassoons, score manager sounds?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by David Ward » Tue May 01, 2018 6:50 pm

I'm sketching a piece for four bassoons. Is this arrangement (see screenshot) of the four sounds the most useful for playback via GIFF?

I don't rely on playback and I don't think the four players will expect computer generated sound, but I'd like to get this right if I can.

The piece is for four equals, interweaving, overlapping, individually coming in and out of prominence, and all the rest.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 18.50.06.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 18.50.06.png (98.38 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25

Post by oldmkvi » Tue May 01, 2018 7:24 pm

I write for Clarinet Quartet, I always use the Solo Clarinet for Bb Clar.
The Solo Inst are a bit louder, so mixing Section and Solo Inst isn't a good idea.
(IMO!)
I would use all Bassoon Solo.
Also, be sure to pan them, so they are spread out.
I use 9 and 3 O'clock for the outer Inst, the other 2 offset a little from center.
I'm very happy with the Garritan Clarinets and Bass Cls.

thomsmit57
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by thomsmit57 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:02 pm

David,
If I was trying to do what you are doing, given all the parameters that you stated about equality and inter weaving lines, etc., I would just use Bassoon Player 1 for all the parts. I think Bassoon solo would be good if there was only one bassoon, and not 4. It also takes a little more juice (RAM) to load and play that one.
How important is the playback file? Will the players (and/or you?) be listening to this just for reference? "just to get an idea?" Or will it be scrutinized?

You might try putting each bassoon on a different channel, possibly pan 2 of them left, left-center, 2 of them right-center, right to get a chamber ensemble sound setting for playback.

go on then
Guitarist, Composer, Arranger, Publisher, Engraver
Finale 27.4.1
iMac 27" running Ventura OS 13.6.6
Logic Pro 10.7, Korg M1 (vintage 1980s)
www.thomasmithmusic.com

David Ward

Post by David Ward » Tue May 01, 2018 9:32 pm

Thank you both for the responses.

I don't think (not certain) that the players will have any interest in a playback file. As for me, being mildly ancient (77) and having started composing in childhood, I compose in the first instance in pencil before making my fair copy in Finale: thus playback is more an intriguing extra than a necessity. I seem to remember that one of the problems with having the same Garritan ‘player’ for more than one part is that unisons tend to be over-loud compared with the reality of two different players playing the same note.

Anyway, I'll experiment further with various possibilities while bearing in mind the advice given here.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

thomsmit57
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by thomsmit57 » Wed May 02, 2018 6:35 pm

I hope that when I become "mildly ancient" I'm still composing and fiddling with bassoon quartets like you are!

As Churchill was to have said, "KBO." (keep buggering on)

P.s. let me know what you think worked for you; I'd be interested to learn.
Guitarist, Composer, Arranger, Publisher, Engraver
Finale 27.4.1
iMac 27" running Ventura OS 13.6.6
Logic Pro 10.7, Korg M1 (vintage 1980s)
www.thomasmithmusic.com

David Ward

Post by David Ward » Wed May 02, 2018 8:15 pm

thomsmit57 wrote:… … …let me know what you think worked for you; I'd be interested to learn.
Out of curiosity, I'm now trying 4 x Bassoon Player 1 for experimental playback, although I'm not sure how well this might evoke the reality as described by the players themselves.

I had a message today from the quartet (four young women, two Spanish & two Scottish) reminding me that: “We all have quite unique individual sounds so it's nice to exploit this to find different colours.” I was also told: “We are all quite happy in all registers.” This suggests some rather interesting possibilities.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25

Post by oldmkvi » Thu May 03, 2018 10:06 am

It takes a few seconds to load 4 Solo Inst in Garritan, and for me, the tone quality is better.
A Woodwind Quintet uses all Solo Inst in Garritan.
Try it, and Panning is essential for realistic sound.
I use the Matrix Reverb, with the Wet /Dry Slider all the way to Dry, and Small Room.
That give a nice full presence.
HP Standard,too.
I love the Playback on Finale, it has helped me so much, and it's fun!
I write directly into the Score, no Piano or Pencil and Paper.
After so many years of hand copying, I hate using a Pencil ( or pen) and it hurts after a while.
Of course, YMMV.