Need Finale on four computers

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tdlucas
Finale Version: Finale 2014 v27.0
Operating System: Windows

Post by tdlucas » Wed May 02, 2018 10:50 pm

I work on four different computers, depending on lots of things. I assume there's a limit to how many times I can authorize and deauthorize 25.5, right? Do I have to buy a whole new package of Finale just so I can do my work on more than two computers?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed May 02, 2018 10:54 pm

Basically, those are the 2 options. I don't believe there are any limits to the on/off process.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed May 02, 2018 11:44 pm

No limit, as far as I know. Install the program on all four, but only two can be authorized at any one time.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed May 02, 2018 11:48 pm

From what I recall from reading the EULA (who really reads those, anyway?), even though you can have Finale authorized on 2 computers, you are only allowed to use one at a time. Maybe someone can refresh my memory. I think the theory is that it is for one user, and not for 2 users sharing the license, as with the 5 user license subscription I have for Office 365.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Thu May 03, 2018 8:07 am

tdlucas wrote:Do I have to buy a whole new package of Finale just so I can do my work on more than two computers?
Certainly some payment seem fair: I'll bet you didn't get a bulk discount on four computers! :lol:

MakeMusic do seem to offer additional seat licences for institutions cheaply; they may also offer deals for individuals. It's worth contacting them to find out.
https://www.finalemusic.com/products/fi ... l-pricing/

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Thu May 10, 2018 4:35 pm

You can install it on all 4 computers, no problem. Log into your MakeMusic Users Account to activate the one you need through the Manage Authorizations button. Although it works, who wants to do that every time? And, yea, it does violate the EULA so there's that.

Years ago, I needed to have Finale installed on 4 computers including the churches where I worked. Laptops weren't really practical at the time—this gives a clue as to how long ago that was. I called Sales, explained my situation and an accommodation was made on my license to cover it. Of course, I had to be clear that I was going to be the only user. Later, I had another situation where I needed a small site license and being able to administer one serial number only was the ideal situation. Again, Sales was able to accommodate me.

Go to the official site and contact MakeMusic directly through the Submit a request link at the top of the page. This should get routed to Sales/Marketing.

https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... t_activity

Explain what it is you want to do. Be specific — 4 installs with 2 active at any time (or whatever the real situation is). They'll let you know any additional cost. None of us work for MM so we don't know the nuts and bolts for your situation. What you want can certainly be done.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.4.1, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 14.5 (public beta); 2023 Studio M2 Ultra, 192G RAM, 8TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer4, Dorico 5, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro