Problem with ScoreMerger

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tdlucas
Finale Version: Finale 2014 v27.0
Operating System: Windows

Post by tdlucas » Mon May 07, 2018 5:50 am

I used ScoreMerger for the first time, trying to get one PDF of parts for a string quartet. It's really a crummy function. Am I asking too much to expect the parts to emerge correctly? All four parts were titled "Cello," and the violin parts didn't even have the name of the piece or the composer or the arranger at the top of the page. And there was no final bar at the end of any of the parts, just double bars. It took me a good half hour to get them right. Is MM going to fix this? (Yes, I edited all the parts before I tried to merge them.)

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Mon May 07, 2018 9:17 am

tdlucas wrote:trying to get one PDF of parts for a string quartet.
One PDF containing all four parts, in sequence? Probably easiest to merge four PDF files together, rather than doing this in Finale.
If you're trying to create a Finale score from individual part files, then for a string quartet, it's probably just as easy to add the extra staves to one of the parts, then copy and paste the others in.
tdlucas wrote:It's really a crummy function.
It's not without crumb. But it can work well under supervision. Make sure you tick the "Edit Instrument Junction Between Files", so that you can correct its assumptions.
tdlucas wrote:And there was no final bar at the end of any of the parts, just double bars.
Did you check "Treat As Independent Movements"?
tdlucas wrote:Is MM going to fix this?
Make sure you report the error to them, supplying exact steps to reproduce the problem, and sample files.
Last edited by BuonTempi on Mon May 07, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon May 07, 2018 4:02 pm

It's not meant to join four different instrumental parts into one, but rather to merge different movements of the same piece with the same instrumentation.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon May 07, 2018 4:04 pm

Actually, that's not true. Combining parts into one score is one of the 2 functions of the feature.

https://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Fin ... cshid=6023

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

motet

Post by motet » Mon May 07, 2018 4:12 pm

I didn't know that. Can I take a bunch of extracted parts made long ago and merge to get a conductor's score, while retaining the part formatting?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon May 07, 2018 5:39 pm

No. Part formatting is not retained. Sorry. This has been discussed over the years, but that is one of the prices one pays for merging them into one score.

If you extracted those files from a score, don't you still have the score?

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

motet

Post by motet » Mon May 07, 2018 5:41 pm

I do, but it would be nice if they were linked parts.

tdlucas
Finale Version: Finale 2014 v27.0

Post by tdlucas » Mon May 07, 2018 6:13 pm

BuonTempi wrote:
tdlucas wrote:trying to get one PDF of parts for a string quartet.
One PDF containing all four parts, in sequence? Probably easiest to merge four PDF files together, rather than doing this in Finale.
If you're trying to create a Finale score from individual part files, then for a string quartet, it's probably just as easy to add the extra staves to one of the parts, then copy and paste the others in.
tdlucas wrote:It's really a crummy function.
It's not without crumb. But it can work well under supervision. Make sure you tick the "Edit Instrument Junction Between Files", so that you can correct its assumptions.
tdlucas wrote:And there was no final bar at the end of any of the parts, just double bars.
Did you check "Treat As Independent Movements"?
tdlucas wrote:Is MM going to fix this?
Make sure you report the error to them, supplying exact steps to reproduce the problem, and sample files.[/quote

Two things. 1) How do I merge four PDFs into one PDF? 2) How do I report a problem to MM?

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Mon May 07, 2018 8:29 pm

There are any number of software tools for combining PDFs. I would avoid the websites that claim to do this, as they no doubt harvest the contents of your data.

On Windows, PDFSam seems to be a respectable choice, though there are others. I would stick with open source software, as you can be sure it's not being naughty.

I'm on a Mac, which comes with a variety of tools. (Preview app, Automator actions, etc.)

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Mon May 07, 2018 8:34 pm

1. There are a number of third-party apps to merge PDF files. A Google search should find them for you.

2. Go here https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/topics, log into your account, and click on the Submit a Ticket tab at the top of the page.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:04 am

Then don't hold your breath. :D
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Fri May 11, 2018 1:32 pm

miker wrote:1. There are a number of third-party apps to merge PDF files. A Google search should find them for you ...
The big dog is Adobe Acrobat Pro but a) it’s expensive and b) most of the functionality is probably not needed by most users.

I use it daily in my day job. Although there other tools, it’s so fast and flexible for what I do that it’s worth every penny for the hours that I save.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

GarryW
Finale Version: 2014.5 and 26

Post by GarryW » Fri May 11, 2018 8:41 pm

Don't know if this is directly relevant, but:

I have a songbook. I use a single large Finale file to hold all the tunes, and I produce a PDF from it. I then use separate Microsoft Word documents to generate PDFs containing a cover page, a table of contents, various page numbers and page headers, and various indices.

I.e., to do things that Finale cannot easily do. Resulting in a pile of PDF files.

What to do?

I use a a program called "PdfMeld" to overlay and to merge the various PDFs together into a master final PDF. See http://www.fytek.com. Cost is $60 forever (as opposed to $180 per year for Acrobat.) It's reliable, and I've been using it for years. It has a basic GUI front end, or you can write scripts to give an abundance of extra control.