Things keep moving

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Tue May 08, 2018 4:49 pm

In the attached file, which I am using for parts for this piece, I have some spatial notation that has boxes around one measure of notes in each part, followed by a heavy line, indicating that it's supposed to be played for 8". Measures 63-67

In each part, I carefully set the box so it fits perfectly around the pitches and so that the right side of the box lines up with the right barline, I adjust the width of the measure so that all of the notes are spread out enough to read them, and I set the beginning of the heavy line so that it starts exactly at the right barline. Then I advance to the next part, do the same thing, and again in the next two parts. And then I go back through each part, only to find that the box has changed shape, that the measure (in the violin 1 part, but not the others) is compressed so that the notes collide with each other, and the heavy line no longer lines up with the right barline.

I finally caught on to the reality that no matter how many times I make these adjustments, it is futile--they'll all just disappear.

Can someone let me know how I can prevent this from happening. I am at my wit's end.

Thanks!

Mac 10.11.6
Finale 25.5

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Tue May 08, 2018 5:18 pm

You need each one of these 4 boxes to be individually adjustable for size. They can be, but with Shape Expressions like these you need to enter each one with a Metatool shortcut. That way, each is a separate entity, unlinked from the others. If you enter them the other way, via the palette, they are the same thing and linked together.

Take a look at the attached file - they seem to behave properly. By the way, if you have Automatic Music Spacing active (Preferences > Edit), you might want to turn it off.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue May 08, 2018 5:22 pm

I suspect the culprit to be one or more automatic functions that work “in the background” without asking you for permission.

1) Preferences - Edit
Is the option “Automatic Music Spacing” selected or de-selected?

2) Document Options - Multimeasure Rests
Is the option “Update Automatically” selected or de-selected?
Even if this is a setting for multimeasure rests, it affects all measures.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Wed May 09, 2018 3:29 am

Thanks!

"Automatic Music Spacing" was selected. I'll de-select it and try again.

"Update Automatically" for multimeasure rests is already de-selected.

It occurred to me, too, that the easiest solution might be just to create a separate file for each part, so that editions in one won't affect the others.

Mark

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Wed May 09, 2018 3:32 am

N Grossingink wrote:You need each one of these 4 boxes to be individually adjustable for size. They can be, but with Shape Expressions like these you need to enter each one with a Metatool shortcut. That way, each is a separate entity, unlinked from the others. If you enter them the other way, via the palette, they are the same thing and linked together.

Take a look at the attached file - they seem to behave properly. By the way, if you have Automatic Music Spacing active (Preferences > Edit), you might want to turn it off.

N.
Thanks, N! Yes, these look fine. Creating those boxes was hard work; I'm not sure I know how to create four of them separately, but I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Mark

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Wed May 09, 2018 3:38 am

Just duplicate it 3 times. Then, use a different one for each occurrence. Resize it on the page. Each one will stay put as it is unique.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."