Any way to play back gliss. from a tied note?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Sat May 12, 2018 1:30 am

In the attached file, the B note in the 3rd measure is held in the tuplet then enters a glissando.

The gliss. plays back OK if the tie from the first note is erased. Is there a way to have Finale play back the gliss. without removing the tie? I notice that Guitar Bends also fail to play back if beginning on a note tied to a previous one. Maybe there is a setting in Edit Frame?

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by oldmkvi » Sat May 12, 2018 5:40 am

I think the Bend shouldn't be from a tied note.
Take out the tie, put it all under a slur, see what happens.
As far as the Gliss, why isn't it just a Quarter Note instead of a triplet tied together?

Djard

Post by Djard » Sat May 12, 2018 6:58 pm

Sustaining a note before entering a glissando is not uncommon, especially in classical music. The same is not uncommon in blues and jazz, where delayed guitar bends are also applied but evidently not accommodated by Finale. I know the software is primarily notation software, not a player. It would be nice if the program could play back what it allows you to write.
oldmkvi wrote:Take out the tie, put it all under a slur, see what happens.
A slur has no effect in playback, so replacing the tie with a slur just has the second B sounded.
oldmkvi wrote:As far as the Gliss, why isn't it just a Quarter Note instead of a triplet tied together?
The gliss needs to start after a bit of sustain. The piece is actually 12/8; so to avoid busy measures and facilitate sight-reading, I score the piece in alla breve time (2/2) and employ tuplets. The feel of threes is thus preserved. I already have the "1/2 Tone Pitch Bend Range" delayed in HP Preferences.

I guess I'll have to write a separate version and play around with time signatures to obtain correct playback. Sigh!

Skjalg
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Skjalg » Sat May 12, 2018 8:17 pm

The solution is, as always in these cases: Use one muted layer for display, and another invisible layer for playback. You can make some kind of tuplet to avoid the use of a tie.
Finale26
Mac High Sierra
Finale user since 1995

Djard

Post by Djard » Sun May 13, 2018 5:58 am

I had forgotten about the invisible layer and invisible staff option. Thanks!