I need a good sight readers's opinion.

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Tue May 15, 2018 3:24 am

Finale's HP preferences offers a "Delay if possible," such as for glissando and guitar note bend. If the box is not checked, the indication must be added after a tied note for correct playback. I attach an image of the two ways to write the bend, which I label as piegare. I'd be grateful for some feedback as to which of the two ways is preferred.

thomsmit57
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by thomsmit57 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:53 pm

I prefer the bottom version. I'm classically trained so i just read those notes by sliding, not bending; for me, it means that the pitches written will sound as they should. (and it's pretty hard to bend notes far on a classical guitar anyway.)

2 issues for me: I've been reading, writing and publishing guitar music for 40+ years... why "piegare?"
I know it means 'fold' in Italian, but I've never seen that used before today in guitar music. Is it just me never hearing of that term in relation to guitar bending techniques, or do you think most players would be questioning what that means here?

Also, I would use fingers 2,3 on the half notes on the 3rd and 4th string-unless there is something I can't see coming up that would change that. and the circled 3 and 4 should swap places; it would be clearer.
Guitarist, Composer, Arranger, Publisher, Engraver
Finale 27.4.1
iMac 27" running Ventura OS 13.6.6
Logic Pro 10.7, Korg M1 (vintage 1980s)
www.thomasmithmusic.com

thomsmit57
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by thomsmit57 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:58 pm

Ok, check that last comment on the placement of the string numbers. My screen view was showing a bit of the bottom of the top line and a bit of the top of the bottom line. Your string number placements are fine.
Guitarist, Composer, Arranger, Publisher, Engraver
Finale 27.4.1
iMac 27" running Ventura OS 13.6.6
Logic Pro 10.7, Korg M1 (vintage 1980s)
www.thomasmithmusic.com

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Thu May 17, 2018 4:05 am

Thanks for the kind input.

I understand that the fingering on the half note C appears awkward; but it is part of a transition to a C major chord, where the reader simultaneously presses down G with the 3rd finger on the 5th string to form the non-barre C chord (see attached).

Often I struggle with how much detail I should add, especially when not indicating sustain with laissez vibrer (or L.V.). I was trained to write what is heard, but that is frequently impractical: the notation can get too cluttered. So I make an estimation of how much is implied that can be omitted. No doubt I still enter too much detail.

My primary instrument is flamenco guitar, but this old tyme melody popped into my head and is played on an electric guitar with a tremelo arm that can easily bend a note over a whole tone, in either direction. Accustomed to using Italian terms, I did not want to write "guitar bend," so I used "piegare" that I understand to mean "bend." The mechanical slide on an electric guitar is microtonal, so even portamento would not suffice IMHO. Yes, piegare is unconventional, but there seems to be a lot of flexibility in music glossaries, and especially among composers. But I am open to suggestions.