Convert folder of MusicXML to mp3

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

thehalleyyoung
Operating System: Mac

Post by thehalleyyoung » Tue May 15, 2018 10:18 pm

Hi,

Is there a single batch command I can use to export a folder of MusicXML files (each corresponding to a single piece of music with multiple instruments) to (a folder of) MP3s?

Thanks!

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Wed May 16, 2018 5:00 am

Maybe. Look at the "batch" command in FinaleScript in the manual. Unfortunately the documentation is very poorly written and incomplete. I'm interested in converting a folder of .mus files to .musx files myself. Haven't figured it out yet, though.

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Wed May 16, 2018 6:18 am

It must be possible as there are preferences for it.

I’m not on my Mac at the moment but I posted this screen shot on another forum a few days ago.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

mmike
Finale Version: 27.4

Post by mmike » Wed May 16, 2018 6:53 am

export a folder of MusicXML files ... to (a folder of) MP3
You have to have a file open in Finale in order to export it to audio (only to .WAV in Finale) Perhaps it can be done in a DAW, but I doubt it.
I'm interested in converting a folder of .mus files to .musx files
You can batch export .musx files to XML: Plug-ins > Finale Script > Finale Script Palette > Batch Export MusicXML. Works just fine.
Finale 3.7 > 27.4.1, GPO5, ASUS laptop, 18.4'' display, Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, WIN 10 Pro, Cubase

motet

Post by motet » Wed May 16, 2018 6:24 pm

mmike wrote:You can batch export .musx files to XML: Plug-ins > Finale Script > Finale Script Palette > Batch Export MusicXML. Works just fine.
Thanks--I hadn't seen that! Perhaps thehalleyyoung can adapt that to accomplish his wish.

motet

Post by motet » Wed May 16, 2018 7:04 pm

There is in fact a "Batch save as MIDI." I suppose it would need to be adapted to read XML files.

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Fri May 18, 2018 3:19 pm

motet wrote:There is in fact a "Batch save as MIDI." I suppose it would need to be adapted to read XML files.
But the OP wants batch conversion to mp3.

Many apps exist that can convert MusicXML to mp3 one at a time. It should be possible to write a script that could convert a folder but it would still be one at a time in sequence.

There are a number of problems. One is that no two music apps handle MusicXML the same. This means that you can’t write an app that would give predictable results with files generated from more than one app. Every music application would have to implement xml identically for such a universal app to succeed. Generate an xm file in Finale. Open it in Finale, Overture, Notion, MuseScore, Encore and Logic Pro X and you’ll see what I mean. BTW, the reason I paid the $79 crossgrade to Notion 6 is because MusicXML that I create in other apps often sounds gorgeous in Notion. On some projects, this has saved me a ton of time.

Back to a script. I used to sell terminal emulation software with extensive scripting capabilities. While at the phone company, I was able to automate many of my routines and eventually gave classes to show my coworkers how to do it.

I don’t know if AppleScript or Finale would be the easiest but it certainly can be done. As I have no interest in doing so, I would charge my usual fees to look at it. Finale Script is best, of course, as that is cross platform. UNIX is quite powerful in this regard which is why I would likely choose AppleScript if doing it for myself. I haven’t done Windows since XP though I do have a Win7 laptop.

A script has to select the .xml file, open it in the desired app, generate and export the audio as mp3, close the file, select the next one etc. Along the way, each parameter must be defined — some scripting applications make this much easier than others. There are two basic types of scripting apps. One type makes you define every step. The other type makes you show it by recording your actions.

To the OP, this is a great opportunity to customize an app to fit your needs. It will take some time but I see no reason why you can’t do this on your own. Have fun!
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro