Scanning a PDF into Finale

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

OuelletteGTR
Finale Version: PC Finale 2011

Post by OuelletteGTR » Fri May 18, 2018 12:34 pm

I have a PDF of classical guitar music I would like to scan into Finale. I'm guessing Finale can generate a .MUS file based on the PDF? If so, could someone assist me in completing this task? Thank you! Scott

Finale version 2011
Windows 7

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Fri May 18, 2018 1:14 pm

Since you are still using 2011, you can scan it in.

Expect poor results. Using the SmartScore Lite that came with Finale prior to F25, the scan recognition will go directly to XML, and then to Finale, recognition errors and all. You will have to make the corrections in Finale. Since classical guitar is usually fairly complex, I would expect a lot of errors. You would probably be better off, entering the music directly.

Buying and using one of the SmartScore programs will be more effective, since you can make the corrections before generating the XML. That's what the program is designed for. But there will definitely be a learning curve involved. http://musitek.com/ (Do not fall for their Music-to-XML program!)

Sorry I can't be more positive, but that's the way it is. I have scanned hundreds of scores using SmartScore Pro, so I think I can speak with some authority!
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

OuelletteGTR

Post by OuelletteGTR » Fri May 18, 2018 1:19 pm

Thank you so much for your response, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me today. I'll take your advice! Scott

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by MikeHalloran » Fri May 18, 2018 3:32 pm

As a Finale owner, you can get SmartScan X2 Pro for $199, either as an upgrade from the copy of SS Lite that you own or directly through MakeMusic Store after you log into your account (scroll down to the bottom of the page). When you’ve obtained SSX2, it will replace Lite in your import options.

In addition, if you upgrade to Finale 25, it will still work except that you will use it in stand-alone mode to generate the files that you will then import into Finale. 25 has no scan functionality.

I almost recommend trying SS Lite first but really, life is too short for that aggravation.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

OuelletteGTR

Post by OuelletteGTR » Sun May 20, 2018 10:42 pm

Thank you for your suggestion. All these suggestions are great, I really appreciate it! Scott