elision character kerning

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Vaughan
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by Vaughan » Sat May 19, 2018 9:13 am

In setting Italian or Spanish lyrics, I need to use the elision symbol to connect two syllables connected by vowels. The Finale Lyrics font has this, but it should actually place slightly under each of the two syllables, leaving a minor gap between them:
Desired elisions.png
As it is now, it pushes the syllables too far to the side, leaving a gap which is too wide and which also affects the music spacing negatively:
Finale's elisions.png
I've looked at the font annotation window under Preferences/Edit and it actually looks as though the bounding box should permit this kerning. I even changed the dimensions of the bounding box, creating a new .fan file for the Lyrics font, but the problem remains. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 26, Sibelius 4 - 7, Dorico 2.2
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Jari's plugins
MacOS 10.14.2
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2018) 16 GB

Amsterdam

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat May 19, 2018 2:55 pm

The “Pro” solution would be to edit the font in a font editor.

For a “quick-and-dirty” solution, use an expression with the elision symbol.
If you zoom in to a high zoom percentage, you can position the expression quite precisely.

In the lyrics you would then not enter the elision symbol, but rather a hard space.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Sat May 19, 2018 3:42 pm

Do you have another font with this symbol? If you swap out the Finale Lyrics symbol with another font's elision, does that look OK?

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3