Renaming staves in v25

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Mister Bebop
Finale Version: 26.0.0.653
Operating System: Windows

Post by Mister Bebop » Wed May 23, 2018 1:31 pm

I am working on extracting parts from a score somebody else did, and I am fairly new to Version 25 (I was keeping up from '98 through 2009 but had to get Version 25 to work on these scores).

For some reason, the names of the staves for Guitar, Piano RH and Piano LH (grouped into Piano) are not cooperating. :D

They are three distinct parts, yet Guitar and Piano LH seem to share names. When I name the Guitar line "Guitar" the Piano LH turns into Guitar. And when I change Piano LH back to Piano LH, then Guitar changes to Piano LH.

I have been losing my religion on this one, and am finally just asking the forum . . . how on earth do I make sure all the names stay put?

Also, when extracting the Piano (group), I cannot seem to find where I extract a group to make a grand staff piano part.

Thank you in advance for your help!

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed May 23, 2018 1:41 pm

Extracting a part uses the name assigned to the Linked Part. Make sure the Linked part has the correct name.

As far as the name changing problem, without seeing a file, I wouldn't be able to say.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed May 23, 2018 1:48 pm

Mister Bebop wrote:I am working on extracting parts from a score somebody else did, and I am fairly new to Version 25 …
For some reason, the names of the staves for Guitar, Piano RH and Piano LH (grouped into Piano) are not cooperating.

They are three distinct parts, yet Guitar and Piano LH seem to share names. When I name the Guitar line "Guitar" the Piano LH turns into Guitar. And when I change Piano LH back to Piano LH, then Guitar changes to Piano LH …
1) You probably do not need to extract parts anymore.
Extracting parts was “the way” in Finale 98, but Finale has had linked parts since Finale 2007.

2) The issue with {shared staff name in two different staves} is well known.

To fix the issue, try this:
Add a new staff to the document, and copy the Guitar part to this new staff.
Delete the old guitar staff, and check whether the problem has gone away.

The culprit could be that the document originally was created in an older Finale version.
Usually you can avoid the problem by, instead creating a fresh, new document in Finale v25.

Mister Bebop wrote:… when extracting the Piano (group), I cannot seem to find where I extract a group to make a grand staff piano part …
Instead of extracting Piano part, try creating a linked Piano part:
Document menu > Manage Parts…
Click the button “Edit Part Definition >>” to expand the dialog box Manage Parts.

When you have created a linked part, you can view/edit the part here:
Document menu > Edit Part > …
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Mister Bebop

Post by Mister Bebop » Wed May 23, 2018 3:54 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Mister Bebop wrote:I am working on extracting parts from a score somebody else did, and I am fairly new to Version 25 …
For some reason, the names of the staves for Guitar, Piano RH and Piano LH (grouped into Piano) are not cooperating.

They are three distinct parts, yet Guitar and Piano LH seem to share names. When I name the Guitar line "Guitar" the Piano LH turns into Guitar. And when I change Piano LH back to Piano LH, then Guitar changes to Piano LH …
1) You probably do not need to extract parts anymore.
Extracting parts was “the way” in Finale 98, but Finale has had linked parts since Finale 2007.

2) The issue with {shared staff name in two different staves} is well known.

To fix the issue, try this:
Add a new staff to the document, and copy the Guitar part to this new staff.
Delete the old guitar staff, and check whether the problem has gone away.

The culprit could be that the document originally was created in an older Finale version.
Usually you can avoid the problem by, instead creating a fresh, new document in Finale v25.

Mister Bebop wrote:… when extracting the Piano (group), I cannot seem to find where I extract a group to make a grand staff piano part …
Instead of extracting Piano part, try creating a linked Piano part:
Document menu > Manage Parts…
Click the button “Edit Part Definition >>” to expand the dialog box Manage Parts.

When you have created a linked part, you can view/edit the part here:
Document menu > Edit Part > …
Thank you for putting this in an understandable and easy-to-follow post. I have done what you said and things are back to "normal," now.

Have never done linked parts, but a buddy of mine swears by it. I guess I've missed a lot by not upgrading sooner.

Actually, I have 2009, but I have been using 2006 mostly. I miss 3.7.2!

:D

Thanks again, Peter!

Mister Bebop

Post by Mister Bebop » Wed May 23, 2018 11:23 pm

Okay, so I have the guitar line showing properly in the score, but when I go to extract the part it does not show up under the list of parts to choose from. It is grouped properly in the Rhythm section group, so it shows up there and I can see it with my own eyes, but it is not in the list under Extract Part. How do I get it to show up there?

Also, there is a "Part 21" there (near the top of the Extract Parts list) that is nowhere to be seen in the score. How do I get rid of that?

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu May 24, 2018 12:19 am

Use Manage Parts to create or delete a part.

Mister Bebop

Post by Mister Bebop » Thu May 24, 2018 3:01 pm

Alright, I think I'm there . . . thanks so much to everybody who helped me with this!