Brass Band template

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by David Ward » Thu May 24, 2018 10:40 am

I rarely write for brass band, but this is the first page of the manuscript score of a little piece I wrote in 1983 for myself to play on the bass trombone together with a 4th section brass band. As far as I know, this is more or less the standard brass band line up, so I was surprised that Finale doesn't seem to have a template for it. In the event, it was easy to set up, although with all the transpositions &c slightly fiddly - 30 minutes worth, by the time it was all done.

Someone else has expressed an interest in the piece, so, although there are perfectly usable MS parts, I thought I should give typesetting its mere 113 bars a go. The solo part is much more demanding than the band parts. It spans almost four octaves, from contrabass D up to tenor top C. It involves a short passage of simultaneous singing and playing (creating ‘resultant tones’) and has various Wa-Wa effects with plunger mute (in one place combined with the resultant tones). In other words, a bit of fun for a bass trombonist with the right skills, together with an undemanding accompaniment.

Anyway, did I miss finding an existing template, or does Finale not have one for standard brass band?
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Thu May 24, 2018 11:41 am

There is a Brass Band template included with Finale that is very similar to your setup. You can access it by going to File > New > Document from Template. It's in the Band Templates folder. The only changes that would be necessary are the staff grouping/bracketing for the Flugel and Solo Bass Trombone and the deletion of the unnecessary Timpani stave.

I'll attach a copy in case you don't have it.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Thu May 24, 2018 11:57 am

Thanks N. I did have this all along, but somehow managed to miss it - old age!
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6