Chord Display Settings

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

rhawke

Post by rhawke » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:11 pm

Hi!

I'm mostly writing arrangements for SATB. Plus I add the Chords on top so that a piano could accompany them.

However I'm not very pleased with the way Finale displays the Chords. I would like to have all numbers to be superscripted. eg. F7 - Gmaj7 - G7sus4. The rest should remain at the same baseline. I do not like to use Jazz-Fonts since they do not fit to the rest of the score.

In HTML it would look like this.

Code: Select all

F<sup>7</sup>
Gmaj<sup>7</sup>
G<sup>7</sup>sus<sup>4</sup>

So is this achievable with settings in Finale using a regular Font like Times, Arial ... or does anybody know a Font that looks "normal" and automatically does that?

Thanx for some help!

Greetings

Robert

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:29 pm

The best way to achieve what you want is to create a Chord suffix library of your own. With the font of your choice, size, etc, and the positioning of each separate element the way you want, the playback effect etc... These things can all be defined in Finale's chord tool.
It will take you half a day of work, but once you have created your chord suffix library, you can import it in default files, in your templates...
I have never regretted to have invested that half a day of work, the result serves me in every new score...
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

rhawke

Post by rhawke » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:30 pm

ok, doesn't sound bad.

would you mind sending me your library? Probably it already fits me.

Or is there a webpage where users provide their libraries?

Thanx a lot for the hint.

Greetings

Robert

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:41 pm

rhawke wrote:...is there a webpage where users provide their libraries?
I don't know any, but maybe somebody else does.
+ check your private mail.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua