NotePerformer3 now available

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Bill Reed
Finale Version: 25.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by Bill Reed » Wed May 30, 2018 11:46 am

NotePerformer is now available for Finale:

https://noteperformer.com/
Finale 25, Overture, Sibelius, Notion, Cubase, StaffPad
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
August Foster 190

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Wed May 30, 2018 2:40 pm

is it really worth it?
some of the demos sound OK, some weren't too convincing.
I didn't hear any of the solo strings in the demos (I don't know if there were any).
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

Bill Reed

Post by Bill Reed » Wed May 30, 2018 8:09 pm

I've never cared for the demos either, though a lot of Sib users seem to love it.

There's a 30 day demo version, so I guess we can see for ourselves :)
August Foster 190

Epeedad
Finale Version: 25, 2012

Post by Epeedad » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:56 pm

Hi Folks,

Its been a while.

I just installed the Noteperformer 3 trail version and gave it a spin. It seems to work quite well. I tried it on a Mozart Oboe Concerto and Massenet's "Meditation on a theme from Thais" Was it perfect? No, but it is quite an improvement over Finale's own playback. I'm going to buy a copy. It will be very useful for my work.

Some observations:

Make sure that you follow the installation instructions and remember that each score must be prepared with the included Finalescript. There are more specialized scripts included to further refine the playback. I haven't experimented with these yet.

One issue is that the playback line is about a second ahead of the sound. This is somewhat annoying but I quickly got used to it. It appears that Finale doesn't compensate for latency. NotePerformer "looks ahead" by that amount to interpret the music. It appears that both Sibelius and Dorico compensate properly. I've noticed this problem with some larger libraries (with a much shorter latency) on occasion in the past.

Chris

Bill Reed

Post by Bill Reed » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:51 pm

August Foster 190

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:19 am

Bill Reed wrote:The review from Scoring Notes:

https://www.scoringnotes.com/news/notep ... -released/
If nothing else, that's told me that Dorico 2 has been released!

Vaughan
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by Vaughan » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:13 am

And, as I expected, it's an amazing update! As usual, the new features have been intelligently implemented. A few of them:
- extensive support for working with videos
- large time signatures
- continuous fine control over tempo and continuous MIDI controllers
- intelligent divisi (and ossias)
- slash notation and bar repeats
- new arranging tools*
- an extensive playing techniques editor
- a new, handwriting font
- correct playback of microtonal accidentals
- intelligent fingering (taking each instrument into account)
- the ability of dynamics to erase the background if necessary, with extensive settings for the amount of padding
- extensive bar number settings, also for multimeasure rests
- plus a large number of other improvements over Dorico 1

*Just to give an idea of the thought that has gone into every feature, here's a selection from the manual about how Dorico deals with copying material:

Dorico 2 introduces a number of new note editing tools to assist with common tasks during arranging, including multi-paste, explode and reduce, and moving and copying material to the staff above or below.
Multi-paste. When pasting copied material, Dorico can now paste multiple copies both horizontally and vertically to fill the range described by the extent of the selection: if only a single item is selected, then pasting works exactly as before, but if multiple items are selected, Dorico considers the nominal rectangle described by the contiguous range of instruments on which items are selected, the rhythmic position of the first selected item on the top instrument and the rhythmic position of the last selected item on any of the selected instruments, and then fills that rectangle with as many complete copies of the material as fit within it.
If there is a discontiguous selection of instruments, then Dorico will consider each contiguous range of instruments as separate regions for pasting: this allows you to (for example) copy dynamics from one instrument and then multi-paste them to several instruments, but omitting one or two instruments in the middle of the range.
Even if the rhythmic extent of the selection is shorter than the length of the copied material, Dorico will paste one complete copy of the material onto each instrument in the region, but if the selection is longer than the copied material, Dorico will paste as many complete copies of the material after each other as fit without overflowing the selected region.
Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 26, Sibelius 4 - 7, Dorico 2.2
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Jari's plugins
MacOS 10.14.2
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2018) 16 GB

Amsterdam