Concert band clarinets

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tdlucas
Finale Version: Finale 2014 v27.0
Operating System: Windows

Post by tdlucas » Wed May 30, 2018 8:05 pm

What clarinets will one find in your typical high school/college concert band these days? Eb clarinet? Alto clarinet? Bass clarinets?

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Wed May 30, 2018 10:55 pm

Bass Clarinet always, an important color in concert band; Alto pretty much always, although the part usually continuously doubles other instruments and is included so the alto player has something to do; E flat not so much in High Schools - colleges usually own the instrument and have someone to play it if needed. A few serious college students will own their own E flat.

My observations, for what they're worth.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

RMK
Finale Version: 25.2

Post by RMK » Wed May 30, 2018 11:12 pm

I would say that E-flat soprano clarinets are much more common now than alto clarinets, which are nearly extinct. Most of the newer (by newer I mean past 30 years or so) repertoire doesn't use it at all.

Of course there are always outliers, like the Ingolf Dahl Sinfonietta, which has an alto clarinet cadenza!

Many bands also use the contra-alto or contra-bass clarinets, especially at the collegiate level.

tdlucas

Post by tdlucas » Thu May 31, 2018 1:14 am

N Grossingink wrote:Bass Clarinet always, an important color in concert band; Alto pretty much always, although the part usually continuously doubles other instruments and is included so the alto player has something to do; E flat not so much in High Schools - colleges usually own the instrument and have someone to play it if needed. A few serious college students will own their own E flat.

My observations, for what they're worth.

N.
Thanks. Now that my score is almost finished, I'll just give the alto clarinet part to the third Bb clarinets. I assume trumpets 1, 2, 3 and clarinets 1, 2, 3 is not unusual.

tdlucas

Post by tdlucas » Thu May 31, 2018 1:16 am

RMK wrote:I would say that E-flat soprano clarinets are much more common now than alto clarinets, which are nearly extinct. Most of the newer (by newer I mean past 30 years or so) repertoire doesn't use it at all.

Of course there are always outliers, like the Ingolf Dahl Sinfonietta, which has an alto clarinet cadenza!

Many bands also use the contra-alto or contra-bass clarinets, especially at the collegiate level.
Thanks. I didn't know that the alto clarinet is gone, but I'm not surprised.

N Grossingink

Post by N Grossingink » Thu May 31, 2018 3:30 pm

RMK wrote:I would say that E-flat soprano clarinets are much more common now than alto clarinets, which are nearly extinct. Most of the newer (by newer I mean past 30 years or so) repertoire doesn't use it at all.
I do freelance engraving work for one of the big US publishers of school band and orchestra music. Almost all of the medium easy to medium difficult band compositions/arrangements include a part for Alto Clarinet. It would be no surprise to me that most of these parts go unused. Interestingly, on opposite ends of the spectrum (easy/very easy and advanced), there usually are no Alto parts at all. I think that's a matter of not wanting to introduce the instrument to younger players (easy), and the reluctance of more talented composers who write advanced band music to use what they deem an obsolete instrument.

Your mention of the Contrabass and Contralto reminds me of a passage that shows the unique color of these low Clarinets - for those who wonder what these sound like in a concert setting. Go to the following link and listen at 1:20 - Bass Clarinet and Contrabass in octaves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8P78GfYy2g

N.
N. Grossingink
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

OSX 10.15.7

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu May 31, 2018 4:04 pm

I imagine an alto clarinet part could be easily taken over by an alto sax?

RMK
Finale Version: 25.2

Post by RMK » Thu May 31, 2018 5:22 pm

motet wrote:I imagine an alto clarinet part could be easily taken over by an alto sax?
Not really. The lowest note on an alto clarinet is (written) e-flat below the treble staff. Alto sax only goes to B-flat a fifth above that.

Maybe this thread is going into the realm of TMI?

N Grossingink

Post by N Grossingink » Thu May 31, 2018 6:41 pm

I looked at a few medium level concert bands and saw these 3 scenarios, no doubt among others:

√ Alto Clarinet doubles Baritone/Euphonium quite often.
√ The Alto doubles Clarinet 3 or Cl. 2 & 3, particularily in florid passages (16th note runs, lower on or beneath the staff).
√ As long as the passage stays in the Alto range, the Alto can double Bassoon, Bass Clarinet, Bari Sax, or Tuba (any combination) - in lightly scored passages and where there are "quasi pizzicato" figures.

N.
N. Grossingink

OSX 10.15.7

tdlucas

Post by tdlucas » Thu May 31, 2018 8:09 pm

N Grossingink wrote:I looked at a few medium level concert bands and saw these 3 scenarios, no doubt among others:

√ Alto Clarinet doubles Baritone/Euphonium quite often.
√ The Alto doubles Clarinet 3 or Cl. 2 & 3, particularily in florid passages (16th note runs, lower on or beneath the staff).
√ As long as the passage stays in the Alto range, the Alto can double Bassoon, Bass Clarinet, Bari Sax, or Tuba (any combination) - in lightly scored passages and where there are "quasi pizzicato" figures.

N.
Thanks for your research! Given all of the above, I will simply create a 3rd clarinet line and give them what I have written for the alto clarinet, adjusting the register where necessary. I'm fairly confident no band director is going to yell, "Where is the alto clarinet part?!?" Unless, of course, I write a solo passage for the alto, taking advantage of its unique tone quality.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:31 pm

I never see alto clarinets anymore and for good reason. Our schools have Bb clarinets, bass clarinet and occasionally a contrabass clarinet.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.