Finale disappeared

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tdlucas
Finale Version: Finale 2014 v27.0
Operating System: Windows

Post by tdlucas » Thu May 31, 2018 4:10 am

When I tried to save my work a few minutes ago, I got a couple of messages that said the file could not be saved. Did I lose all of my work? What happened? Where did it go? (Fortunately I had saved it to an external disc a couple of hours ago, so I only lost a couple of hours of work.)

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Thu May 31, 2018 4:34 am

It doesn't look like Finale disappeared. It just looks like there was a problem saving a file.

Do you have Autosave on? Maybe you didn't waste as much time as you thought. I have Autosave set for every 5 minutes.

The symptoms appear to be connected with the issue Finale has with .tmp files. I have a unique designated folder for these and have not had the .tmp file issue as many have reported here.

If you don't know how to set things up, you might check back here and we can tell you what to do.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu May 31, 2018 5:15 am

Why can't MM fix this? It's a terrible bug and it's existed for a long time.

tdlucas
Finale Version: Finale 2014 v27.0

Post by tdlucas » Thu May 31, 2018 5:32 am

zuill wrote:It doesn't look like Finale disappeared. It just looks like there was a problem saving a file.

Do you have Autosave on? Maybe you didn't waste as much time as you thought. I have Autosave set for every 5 minutes.

The symptoms appear to be connected with the issue Finale has with .tmp files. I have a unique designated folder for these and have not had the .tmp file issue as many have reported here.

If you don't know how to set things up, you might check back here and we can tell you what to do.

Zuill
I went back to my computer and closed the file without saving. It totally dissapeared from my computer. I did a search for it and it was nowhere to be found. I had saved it many times. Thank heaven I had backed it up on an external hard drive just before this crash happened. I didn't lose much. Thanks for the Auto Save tip. If only it would aoto save to my external hard drive!

Gareth Green
Finale Version: Finale 26.2

Post by Gareth Green » Thu May 31, 2018 11:04 am

tdlucas wrote:
zuill wrote:It doesn't look like Finale disappeared. It just looks like there was a problem saving a file.

Zuill
I went back to my computer and closed the file without saving. It totally dissapeared from my computer. I did a search for it and it was nowhere to be found. I had saved it many times. Thank heaven I had backed it up on an external hard drive just before this crash happened. I didn't lose much. Thanks for the Auto Save tip. If only it would aoto save to my external hard drive!
I have an external hard drive permanently connected to my PC, and Autosave is set-up to save there.
Gareth J. Green
FIn26
Win10

mmike
Finale Version: 27.4

Post by mmike » Thu May 31, 2018 5:16 pm

To continue this thread with a general question - maybe someone could shed some light on autosaving and backups for me. I have one dedicated directory for each, auto save is checked and set to every 5 minutes, and make backups when saving files is also checked. The behavior of created .bakx and .asvx files is very strange, though. When saving a file, eventually, but necessarily, a .bakx file appears as having been created, but usually with a time stamp EARLIER than the saved file. The .asvx files appear occasionally, but as far as I can see, not every 5 minutes, and sometimes not at all. Is this a known issue? Any explanations?
Finale 3.7 > 27.4.1, GPO5, ASUS laptop, 18.4'' display, Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, WIN 10 Pro, Cubase

motet

Post by motet » Thu May 31, 2018 5:55 pm

The .bakx file is just the previous, pre-edited version, so an older date is normal.

Don't know about auto-save; perhaps it only does it if you make an edit?

mmike

Post by mmike » Thu May 31, 2018 6:06 pm

The .bakx file is just the previous, pre-edited version
I see, got it.
auto-save; perhaps it only does it if you make an edit?
I've tested that various ways, but it still doesn't make much sense as to what it does and when...
Finale 3.7 > 27.4.1, GPO5, ASUS laptop, 18.4'' display, Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, WIN 10 Pro, Cubase

motet

Post by motet » Thu May 31, 2018 6:20 pm

Finale very rarely crashes for me, but when it has, the autosave file has always been there.

mmike

Post by mmike » Thu May 31, 2018 7:20 pm

same here ... I was just curious as to how it works. But there must be some logic there, somewhere ... (and I would actually like to set the autosave interval to something longer, particularly when working with a larger file being interrupted every 5 minutes while it's being saved)

motet

Post by motet » Thu May 31, 2018 7:30 pm

You can set it to whatever you want. I think I've set it to 10 minutes.