some thoughts and q

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

OCTO
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by OCTO » Thu May 31, 2018 9:18 am

I have been away from Finale for about 1,5 year now.
Now I use Sibelius for simpler projects.
... But I just wonder what is happening with Finale? A new version coming out? Is the most current version the same as 2 years ago?
www.notat.io - A Forum devoted to the Practice of Music Notation

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Thu May 31, 2018 9:49 am

It's still Finale 25, although the .5 up-date improved some details. We await news of a new version, but there's no sign of one yet.

FYI this recent thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16614 shows, amongst other things, how I solved an unexpected disparity between the positions of some articulations in the Finale file and in the derived PDF. This maybe illustrates Finale's flexibility in its handling of ad hoc solutions, which I like to think is one of its attractions. However, I did have to rely heavily on Jari's plug-in. BTW I used your OCTOwah font for the +o.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:37 pm

My thought is and has always been if you just want to get a score up easy and fast you want Sib. But if you are a serious composer and really want to be able to do anything and some things beyond the norm in music you want Finale.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:09 am

OCTO wrote:... But I just wonder what is happening with Finale? A new version coming out? Is the most current version the same as 2 years ago?
Finale's new scheme is that instead of each yearly version being a 'separate' installation and application, the application will just be "Finale", and be continually updated with new features and bug fixes.

Traditionally, MM does not hint at future plans, but the .5 update was some time away, so I would anticipate something.