Cautionary percussion clef position

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by David Ward » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:39 pm

I see the reduced size cautionary percussion clef is still placed too low by default.

Following this thread on the old forum https://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=378865 I attempted to follow Peter Thomsen's suggestions for modifying the clef in the Shape Designer. Unfortunately, although other Maestro Font characters appeared correctly using the Finale Help's recommended key strokes, the percussion clef did not. Strangely, the correct clef did appear in Pages using the same listed key strokes, Opt-N then A (lower case), but something else appears in the Shape Designer. Anyway, after much frustration trying to make this work, I realized I could save the clef library from an earlier file which had the modified (ie corrected) percussion clef and then load that library into my current file. This worked, although I was surprised that the modification showed on the cautionary percussion clefs the moment the library was loaded, without my actively having to select the adjusted clef.

Do all or any of these things happen in the same way to others using the latest Finale with the latest Mac OS?
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:12 pm

David Ward wrote:…I was surprised that the modification showed on the cautionary percussion clefs the moment the library was loaded, without my actively having to select the adjusted clef.
I could be wrong, but this behavior makes sense to me. You did select the modified clef in the source file, so that selection was passed along through the library import.

For what it's worth, I solve the problem of this off-kilter courtesy percussion clef by using a full size percussion clef in its place. The cue size courtesy looks like a fly speck to me. You can do this in the clef tool - resize from 75% to 100% for just that measure.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:34 pm

Excellent solution!