Removing dot from dotted note

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

michael graubart

Post by michael graubart » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:23 pm

I use Finale 25.5.0.259 on a Mac, MacOS 10.13.5 (High Sierra).

Two simple methods are described in the User Manual and in these pages for removing the dot from a dotted note. I have failed to make either of them work.

1. 'In Simple Entry, select the eraser tool, press Option and erase the dot.' This seems not to achieve anything.

2. 'In Speedy Entry, highlight the dotted note and type the number corresponding to the desired note-length (e.g. 4 for an eight, 5 for a quarter, etc.)'. What actually happens is that a new note of duration specified by the typed number is inserted before the dotted note, which is not changed or deleted. This can cause temporary complications if the measure is not long enough to contain both notes.

I should be grateful for help with this simple task, or for any information about it.
Michael Graubart.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:26 pm

Michael Graubart wrote:… 1. 'In Simple Entry, select the eraser tool, press Option and erase the dot.' This seems not to achieve anything …
I can confirm this. It happens for me, too.

Michael Graubart wrote:… 2. 'In Speedy Entry, highlight the dotted note and type the number corresponding to the desired note-length (e.g. 4 for an eight, 5 for a quarter, etc.)'. What actually happens is that a new note of duration specified by the typed number is inserted before the dotted note, which is not changed or deleted …
This, however, is not how Speedy Entry works for me.
Instead I get the expected behaviour (= Finale does what it is supposed to do).
When I type the number, the duration is changed according to the number key I hit.

Culprit (I am guessing):
I suspect that you have selected the Speedy menu item “Insert Notes or Rests” (hotkey: Shift-I).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:48 pm

Right--Insert Notes or Rests in Speedy needs to be unselected.

The eraser works for me in Simple. It might be because I have an older version, or that I'm on Windows, but it's also the case that you have to be precise in putting the cursor (the arrow, not the eraser) on the dot.

FwL
Finale Version: 2010, 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by FwL » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:07 pm

In simple entry you can select the note duration you actually want (make sure the dotted note choice is not selected) and click on the offending note to remove all dots.
A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules... often with the aid of unsuspecting musicians - Frank Zappa

michael graubart

Post by michael graubart » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:53 pm

motet wrote:Right--Insert Notes or Rests in Speedy needs to be unselected.

The eraser works for me in Simple. It might be because I have an older version, or that I'm on Windows, but it's also the case that you have to be precise in putting the cursor (the arrow, not the eraser) on the dot.
I was veery precise — zoomed in to make it easier, in fact — but I think my problem with this way of doing it must be due to my using a Mac. Thanks anyway.
Michael Graubart.

michael graubart

Post by michael graubart » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:54 pm

Michael Graubart wrote:… 2. 'In Speedy Entry, highlight the dotted note and type the number corresponding to the desired note-length (e.g. 4 for an eight, 5 for a quarter, etc.)'. What actually happens is that a new note of duration specified by the typed number is inserted before the dotted note, which is not changed or deleted …
This, however, is not how Speedy Entry works for me.
Instead I get the expected behaviour (= Finale does what it is supposed to do).
When I type the number, the duration is changed according to the number key I hit.

Culprit (I am guessing):
I suspect that you have selected the Speedy menu item “Insert Notes or Rests” (hotkey: Shift-I).[/quote]

Thank you very much, Peter Thomsen. Your suspicion was entirely justified: I had indeed accidentally selected 'Insert Notes or Rests'. My problem is solved!
Michael Graubart.