Accidentals oddity

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:36 pm

Here's an odd one someone on Facebook encountered. The half-note G in layer 1 is a G#; the eighth note in layer 2 is a G-natural, and the dotted quarter is a G#. Finale added the accidentals when the layer 2 notes were input. .musx file attached.
0632.png
The odd things are that the sharp on the half note cannot be suppressed with the * key in Speedy, and if you drag notes around with the Note Position tool, the red natural moves with the G#.

The O.P. wanted something like this. I dragged the black sharp off the page, which I suppose is a solution of sorts.
0634.png

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:43 am

motet wrote:… if you drag notes around with the Note Position tool, the red natural moves with the G# …
I would go to Document Options - Accidentals, and de-select “Use Cross-Layer Accidental Positioning”.

motet wrote:… The O.P. wanted something like this …
What the O.P. wanted, is not “standard practice”.
Since the half note G♯ and the eighth note G♮ occur on the same beat, they should both display an accidental.
Finale is doing what it is supposed to do.

motet wrote:… I dragged the black sharp off the page, which I suppose is a solution of sorts …
Another solution is the Special Tools Tool, sub-tool Accidental Mover Tool.
Double-click the accidental’s handle to get to the Accidental Settings.
You can change the font character to a blank character, and you can resize it to 1 %.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996