Guitar finger squeaks

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tdlucas
Finale Version: Finale 2014 v27.0
Operating System: Windows

Post by tdlucas » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:49 pm

How can I get acoustic guitar finger squeaks on Finale?

FwL
Finale Version: 2010, 25.5

Post by FwL » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:32 am

The Garritan patch Acoustic Guitar KS has several sound effects starting at C8. Two of those are finger squeaks.
A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules... often with the aid of unsuspecting musicians - Frank Zappa

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by MikeHalloran » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:41 am

Hmmm... I try to get them out of my recordings.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:59 pm

As a listener who doesn't know about the guitar, I find them distracting. I would think this would be something players would strive to avoid.

thomsmit57
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by thomsmit57 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:18 pm

As a listener who does know about guitar, I find them distracting too. In fact, sometimes the squeaks are all that I can focus on because the player didn't think it important enough to listen back and hear how much extra bad stuff is there between the notes. Speaking realistically, some squeaks are unavoidable, but they can be minimized, and most people that will disagree with that don't want to learn how to play their instrument better.
On steel string acoustic guitar playing, (blues especially) they seem to be more accepted as just one of those "vagaries of the instrument," or even a defining stylistic element.

On classical guitar, squeaks are an indication of less than stellar technique and/or sloppy execution by the player. For those of you who don't know, classical guitar's three treble strings are made of a synthetic mono-filament (let's just call em "nylon"), so squeaking on these strings is minimal. The three bass strings are wound steel. But a lot of thought goes into smoothing those bass strings so that squeaking is reduced, even purposely while sliding up and down them. In fact, D'Addario makes a set of (bass) strings that are designed for recording that can reduce a large amount of unwanted squeaking. Not a substitution for good technique, but some superior equipment for your instrument to aid your pursuit of it.

Why would you want to ADD squeaks? Unless you were looking for a composition sound effect. And even then I would be hesitant to use it for long.

Jumping off my soap box now....
Guitarist, Composer, Arranger, Publisher, Engraver
Finale 27.4
iMac 27" running Big Sur 11.6
Logic Pro 10.7, Korg M1 (vintage 1980s)
www.thomasmithmusic.com

tdlucas
Finale Version: Finale 2014 v27.0

Post by tdlucas » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:20 pm

thomsmit57 wrote:Why would you want to ADD squeaks? Unless you were looking for a composition sound effect. And even then I would be hesitant to use it for long.
Jumping off my soap box now....
Unless I build in some mistakes, a digital acoustic guitar sounds too perfect. An occasional finger squeak might make it sound more realistic.