Different behavior when selecting SoftSynth instruments

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

billrow
Finale Version: Finale 25.5.0.290
Operating System: Windows

Post by billrow » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:14 am

Maybe this should be in the beginners forum? I feel like I'm ALWAYS a beginner, no matter how long I've been using Finale!

I have several files, that I believe I created in basically the same way. But when I go to the ScoreManager to select instruments, I see two different ways of making selections. (I tried to do screen captures or take screen photos, but files are too big.) I'm obviously confused/confounded by how this all works.

When I go to ScoreManager for some of the files, I see "SmartMusic SoftSynth 1" as the Device. When I click to make a selection in the Sound column, I see a sub-menu that lets me select from MakeMusic GM entries, which in turn take me to a big list of patches, with General Midi numbers. I like this version, as I can reference the GM number to put in the score for the keyboard player, which should provide a pretty global way to specify a patch to use.

For other files, clicking in the Sound column gives me a two-part menu, where I can select things like "Ensemble/Choir Aahs". This may be pointing me to the same sounds? But it doesn't show me the GM numbers. This seems to be the same behavior as for Garritan Instruments, even though I have changed the Device to "SmartMusic SoftSynth".

Can anyone give me some advice on how this works? Or maybe point me to a tutorial? Thanks!

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:33 am

The difference you are seeing is due to a different selection in the MIDI/Audio menu. If you select Play Finale Through MIDI, you see the lists with the GM numbers. If you select Play Finale Through VST, you can choose the Softsynth or Garritan. When choosing Softsynth, it is now playing through VST. Now the lists don't show the GM numbers, but are grouped in sets, similar to Garritan.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

billrow
Finale Version: Finale 25.5.0.290

Post by billrow » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:30 am

Ah, so THAT'S the trick! Thank you very much. Seems like I learn something new every day. Unfortunately, these days I seem to FORGET a couple more things every day. :-(

I think I'll choose something other than "Choir Aahs" when listening to parts in the MIDI version. Sounds a little like the adults' voices in the Peanuts cartoons!

Thanks again!