Dot placement question...

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:59 pm

There appears to be nothing in Document Options that affects this. It must be a hidden programming "feature" that we are not privy to.

Since MakeMusic is aware of this, you would think they could fix it.

Remember, there is more to this than the actual position itself. The other part of the bug, which only affects the Jazz Font augmentation dot, as I recall, doesn't hold the manual repositioning of the dot unless the rest to which it is attached is allowed to be moveable.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Christopher Smith
Finale Version: v.25.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by Christopher Smith » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:36 am

I got a reply back from David Cusick at MakeMusic. It IS related to the way Finale treats dots when Jazz is the default font, and doesn't show the bug when the default font is Maestro, as in my example file. Thanks to my friends here for examining my files and coming to a pretty savvy conclusion! Here is David's reply:
It is unfortunate to hear that you are encountering this issue, and that you have been dealing with this for some time. This is something that we have documented and are aware of. I have personally looked into this issue myself and I can tell you that the issue is not in the Jazz Font or the JazzFont Default template. This is actually being caused by the act of making the Jazz Font the Default Music Font in a document. This includes any document which unfortunately affects the JazzFont Default too.

The best method that I have found to get around this issue is to use the Maestro Default and then go to Document Options > Fonts. Here you will need to change the Notation Font elements to the Jazz Font individually as necessary. I know that this is not the best workaround but it will provide better results.

The issue seems to pertain to the code of the program and how it responds to having a document set to the Jazz Font via the Default music Font method. Hopefully we can find a more permanent resolution to this issue soon. Please feel free to let me know if I can provide more information about this topic.
Finale 2014.5 and v.25 on Mac OS 10.12.6 (Sierra)

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:10 am

Or, use the Jazz Font Default file, and use my method for moving the dots and getting the change to stick.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."