Beaming over rests — locally

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

michael graubart

Post by michael graubart » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:57 pm

Finale 25.5.0.259, MacOS 10.13.5 (High Sierra)

Finale and its User Manual provide a way of beaming over rests globally, but there is an extraordinary amount of inconclusive correspondence here in this Forum and elsewhere on the Net about beaming over rests locally in a score so as to avoid doing so globally and then having to go right through the score, un-beaming where not desired.

There is a very simple way of beaming over rests locally which I have not found in the User Manual, nor in all that correspondence:

1. Put notes in (any notes!) in place of the rests.
2. Select the last note and click Slash.
3. Repeat with each of the previous notes (except for the first note), so that the whole group of notes ends up beamed together.
4. Select each of the unwanted notes in turn and click Delete each time to convert the unwanted note into a rest. The beams will remain.

Why have I not found this method in the User Manual? If it is in fact there, or if it is described in the Forum or in general internet correspondence and I have missed it, I apologize.
Michael Graubart.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:52 pm

Robert Patterson's suite of plugins has a simple answer for this - "Beam Selection". Just highlight a passage with the Selection Tool, run the plugin and you're done. Map the plugin command to a macro for speed. The complete set of plugins will cost you $74. I've found uses for many of Robert's plugins and consider the money well spent.

30 day demo here:
http://robertgpatterson.com/-fininfo/-d ... nload.html

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:09 pm

Michael Graubart wrote:… 1. Put notes in (any pitch!) in place of the rests.
2. Select the last note and click Slash.
3. Repeat with each of the previous notes (except for the first note), so that the whole group of notes ends up beamed together.
4. Select each of the unwanted notes in turn and click Delete each time to convert the unwanted note into a rest. The beams will remain …
Re. step 1. - it is not necessary to input pitches in place of the rests.
Just input the rests.
When you have filled the measure, beam/unbeam the notes and rests as needed.

I just tried it, and it works for me, in both Speedy Entry and Simple Entry.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

michael graubart

Post by michael graubart » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:45 pm

Peter Thomsen, your method works for me, too, and has the advantage over mine that secondary beams can be extended over rests as well. That is really useful. And I have the "Lite" version of the Patterson Plug-Ins, N. Grossingink, but that collection does not have the one I would need. I shall consider purchasing the full set, but for the moment Peter Thomsen's method or mine will do what I want in the score I am working on at the moment.

Many thanks for very useful replies, both.
Michael Graubart.