More realistic orchestra

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tdlucas
Finale Version: Finale 2014 v27.0
Operating System: Windows

Post by tdlucas » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:15 pm

The playback audio of my orchestral arrangement doesn't sound realistic. It just sounds like a MIDI orchestra. It's going to be played outside in a stadium. (A real orchestra has played it, and the orchestration is fine. Unfortunately, I didn't get a recording of it.) How can I make it sound more authentic? Use separate MIDI channels? Purchase something like FL Studio? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:34 pm

You'll never find digitally produced audio, regardless of how expensive the sampled set, that sounds real. Just like a cartoon, or digital graphics animation, it just isn't real.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:58 pm

If you're not using separate MIDI channels you probably should - I think that's a requirement. Are you using the Garritan sounds that come with Finale? It might be worth trying those.

I would get the file sounding as good as you can, make an mp3 and play it at the stadium. Most people will probably not notice that it's not a real orchestra and most of those that do notice probably won't mind. You'll be one of the few gritting their teeth but unless you have the funds to hire the Cleveland Orchestra, you'll have to make do.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

tdlucas

Post by tdlucas » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:07 am

zuill wrote:You'll never find digitally produced audio, regardless of how expensive the sampled set, that sounds real. Zuill
Some of the things that have been done with the Vienna Symphonic Cube are pretty amazing.

tdlucas

Post by tdlucas » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:09 am

N Grossingink wrote: I would get the file sounding as good as you can, make an mp3 and play it at the stadium. N.
Thanks for your help. I'll do what I can.

tdlucas

Post by tdlucas » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:05 am

N Grossingink wrote:If you're not using separate MIDI channels you probably should - I think that's a requirement. Are you using the Garritan sounds that come with Finale? It might be worth trying those.

N.
Yes, I am using Garritan. Every line of the score is a different MIDI channel, right?

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:33 am

Make sure that the instrument volumes are set at realistic relative volumes (ie: you don't want your clarinets sounding louder than your trombones)
Try various solo instruments, sometimes the default instrument loaded by Finale isn't necessarily the best choice.
Make use of the reverb options available, set them to the type of hall that will suit the performance.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

FwL
Finale Version: 2010, 25.5

Post by FwL » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:04 am

tdlucas wrote:
zuill wrote:You'll never find digitally produced audio, regardless of how expensive the sampled set, that sounds real. Zuill
Some of the things that have been done with the Vienna Symphonic Cube are pretty amazing.

Stuff you're hearing with VSL is painstakingly assembled phrase by phrase in a DAW using multiple articulations, dynamics, etc. You'll never get close to that with a sample set as limited as Garritan.

Somebody posted this a while back. It might be worth looking at:

https://www.noteperformer.com/
A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules... often with the aid of unsuspecting musicians - Frank Zappa

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:53 am

tdlucas wrote:Every line of the score is a different MIDI channel, right?
Yes.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:29 pm

FwL wrote:
tdlucas wrote:

Stuff you're hearing with VSL is painstakingly assembled phrase by phrase in a DAW using multiple articulations, dynamics, etc. You'll never get close to that with a sample set as limited as Garritan.

Somebody posted this a while back. It might be worth looking at:

https://www.noteperformer.com/
There’s a 30 day free trial. It may be what the doctor ordered.

You might also want to check out Notion 6. The cross-grade is inexpensive but the instruments download and install with the demo (ahem, MakeMusic?) I hate the workflow but my Finale scores sound pretty good when imported via MusicXML 3.0 (Notion doesn’t support 3.1 yet). I use it for a quick comparison.
https://www.presonus.com/products/Notion
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.4.1, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 14.5 (public beta); 2023 Studio M2 Ultra, 192G RAM, 8TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer4, Dorico 5, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro