Same Text ID assigned to two different staff names

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

billrow
Finale Version: Finale 25.5.0.290
Operating System: Windows

Post by billrow » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:35 am

I have somehow gotten into a mode where the same Text ID is being used for two different Abbreviated Staff Names. When I change the value for one of the vocal scores, that same value also shows up for the treble clef of the piano score. When I look at info for those two staves in Score Manager, I see that both of the Abbr. Names show "ID: 22". I discovered how to scroll through all of the text entries using "Edit Text"; but this doesn't seem to help me with changing one of the Abbr. Names to use a different ID number. I assume those IDs are just assigned, and maybe not changeable??

I think this happened when I was trying to expand a single treble clef (used for a second keyboard) to be treble/bass clef, like piano. I probably didn't do that right, as I don't see an expandable "Name" (like I do for "Piano") for that treble/bass combination in Score Manager; even though they LOOK okay in the score, with bracket like piano. I assume I messed something up with the Abbr. Names when I was fumbling around with doing that. :-(

Any ideas??

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:27 am

I'm having difficulty following what you're trying to achieve. If you're trying to edit your staff names using the "Edit Text" dialog, I think you're going about it the wrong way. I always set up the staff names in the Score Manager. That seems to work just fine. You might want to attach a Finale file that shows any difficulty you're having. You can delete all of the music if you like - it's not needed.

I might be wrong - further discussion would be helpful.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

billrow

Post by billrow » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:16 pm

Sorry. I was probably providing TOO much information. It was apparent to me that "Edit Text" wouldn't allow me to change the staff names. Looking there just helped me discover that the two different Abbr Names had the same ID number. Regardless of whether I change one of the two Abbr Names in Score Manager, or if I do it using right-click on the staff indicator, the Abbr Name for both the staff named "Jack" and the treble clef of "Piano" staff pick up the same Abbr Name. Example file is attached. I see a "J" to the left of piano treble staff on secondary pages, which shouldn't be there.

Also, what do I need to do to get "Kbd 2" to show up in Score Manager as a "Name", just like "Piano" is shown, with "[Staff 6]" and "[Staff 3]" as "children" to "Kbd 2"? I'm suspecting this may somehow be related to the "bad link" between the two Abbr Names. ??

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:28 pm

This might be closer. It looks like you set up the file somewhat haphazardly.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

billrow

Post by billrow » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:45 pm

Yes. That's how I want it to look! And seems to resolve the Text ID / Abbr Name issue. But, my question still remains: how do I get it to look like that? How do I have "Kbd 2" show up as a "Name" in ScoreManager, with the treble and bass staffs below it; like Piano looks? Probably a simple solution, but I can't seem to come up with it.

As far as "haphazardly". I originally thought I would only need one treble clef for Kbd 2, but then decided I wanted treble/bass, like piano. And I wasn't sure how to make that change correctly.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:49 pm

Okay. Instead of adding another staff, which is one way, use either the Change Instrument utility or the Score Manager to change the single staff to a Grand Staff. You can choose Piano, Piano no name, or Organ 2 staff. Then, adjust the names in the Score manager. I deleted your second staff and then did that.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."