Articulations

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Komponist
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by Komponist » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:25 pm

The articulations on my Finale program are possessed. :twisted: Three times I've tried to enter articulations and fingering, but nothing happens. No dialogue comes up, no numbers appear with the "press number - click" method. Nothing. I've tried restarting, resetting preferences, searching the forum, and nothing. I've attached the piece I'm trying to finish. I would be grateful for any insight into this problem. By the way, when I highlight articulations to move them, the handles light up and then go blank again. Anybody seeing this issue as well?
Attachments
Dreaming.musx
(37.56 KiB) Downloaded 132 times

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:48 pm

Komponist wrote:when I highlight articulations to move them
I thought you couldn't enter them.

I can add articulations to your file. If you know how articulations in Finale work, you probably have a "virtual stuck key." The easiest remedy is to reboot your computer.

Also, be sure you're in the right layer. The cursor should be a solid arrow with a note, not an empty arrow.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:00 am

The reason that holding 1 and clicking a note does note enter the number 1 is that there are no metatools assigned to the numbers. In Windows, hold shift and press 1, select the 1 fingering and Select. Once the numbers 1-5 are assigned to the fingerings 1-5, then the number-mouse click works.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Komponist
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by Komponist » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:06 am

Zuill, Thank you for that tidbit about assigning numbers to the keys. I thought that happened when I loaded my custom library.

Motet, I was actually asking two questions, one about the non-functioning articulations and a second one about highlighting fingering to move it around on the page. I'm sorry that I was not more careful in crafting my questions. Sometimes, on songs with fingering already applied, I want to adjust the placement a bit. When I try to highlight those handles, the pink highlight color will appear momentarily and then vanish. I have tried 5-6 times to get the handles to remain highlighted without success. I end up having to move the fingering numbers one at a time instead of together. This happens quite a bit, and I was asking if anyone had been having similar problems.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:19 am

Still don't quite understand. If you can't get the highlighting to stick, how can you even move one? Selection tool?

You might try click-drag around the ones you want to move. The other way is to click while holding down the Shift key.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:59 am

Komponist wrote:Zuill, Thank you for that tidbit about assigning numbers to the keys. I thought that happened when I loaded my custom library.
Unfortunately, loading a library does not load metatools. One of those things.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."