Finale file's margins change when saved as PDF

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Al Fine
Finale Version: Finale 25.2.0.79
Operating System: Mac

Post by Al Fine » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:33 pm

Hello all, I'm having a problem with my Finale notations files which just started: When I "save as "my Finale files as PDFs (or view them in PDF preview, or print them), the margins on the PDFs are altered. The upper margin seems to be disappearing. I have made countless PDFs over the past several months without this problem, including fairly recent revisions of those files (also without problems), so this seems to be a VERY recent issue. I have included the original Finale file, plus a JPG of the PDF (JPEG, in this case, to save memory for posting purposes) for comparison. Perhaps one of you kind souls can try saving/viewing/printing the original file and see what happens on your end. Thanks!

Okay, second attachment isn't loading...stand by...Alright, I could only get a screenshot of the top of the second page to load here, but you can see how high it is to the top of the page compared to the original. Please let me know if you need further data.

I'll add that this doesn't seem to be happening with non Finale files, i.e., Word files.
Margin pdf problem - Finale file.musx
Margin problem pt.2.jpg

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:51 pm

Rather than using the built in Macintosh PDF creator, use Finale's Graphics Tool to produce the PDF. It has a few advantages, namely smaller file size and true black and white rendering. The margins appear as in the Fnale file. See attached.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Al Fine
Finale Version: Finale 25.2.0.79

Post by Al Fine » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:04 pm

Brilliant! Just did a quick test, seems to do the trick. Thanks so much!

And speaking of thanks, thanks again to all who have given me advice in the past. My pieces have come a long way, thanks to you all!