Splitting a Measure with a Composite Meter

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bright184
Finale Version: v25
Operating System: Windows

Post by bright184 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:11 pm

Hello!

I have the newest version of Finale. I am taking a course where I have to notate folk songs in 4/4 time, and beam the eighth notes over one beat rather than Finale's default beaming over two beats. To get this to happen, I have been using the composite meter (1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4)

Now, I have a folk song that has pick-up notes inside the piece. To follow the rules of my course, I have to split measures at the end of the phrase - put the cadential note on one line, and putting the pick-up on the next line.

The Finale Split Measure tool will not work if there is a composite meter. Does anybody have a work around??

Thank you!

-Kate

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:34 pm

bright184 wrote:… I have the newest version of Finale. I am taking a course where I have to notate folk songs in 4/4 time, and beam the eighth notes over one beat rather than Finale's default beaming over two beats. To get this to happen, I have been using the composite meter (1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4) …
There is a simpler solution:
Go to
Document menu > Document Options > Beams
and
de-select “Beam Four Eighth Notes Together in Common Time”:
DocumentOptions-Beams.jpg

bright184 wrote:… Now, I have a folk song that has pick-up notes inside the piece. To follow the rules of my course, I have to split measures at the end of the phrase - put the cadential note on one line, and putting the pick-up on the next line.

The Finale Split Measure tool will not work if there is a composite meter. Does anybody have a work around?? …
First of all:
The plug-in Split Measure will work with an ordinary time signature of 4/4 where you have de-selected “Beam Four Eighth Notes Together in Common Time”.

In a Composite Time Signature you can split the measure yourself, and do, manually, what the plug-in does:
At the measure you need to split, insert an extra Measure Stack so that you have two measures.
Time Signature Tool.
Give the first measure a “real” Time Signature of 3/4, and a “display” Time Signature of 4/4.
Give the second measure a “real” Time Signature of 1/4, and a “display” Time Signature of 4/4.
Measure Tool.
Double-click the first measure, to get to the Measure Attributes.
Give the first measure an Invisible (right) Barline (or perhaps a Dashed Barline).
In the Measure Attributes for the following measure, de-select “Include in Measure Numbering”.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:39 pm

You don't need to use the composite meter. Change the time signature back to 4/4, then go to Document Options > Beams and uncheck "Beam 4 eighths together in common time". Select all, then go to Utilities > Rebeam Music and that should give you eighths beamed in 2s. Try the Split Measure plugin again - it should work now.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

bright184
Finale Version: v25
Operating System: Windows

Post by bright184 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:15 pm

THANK YOU!! You saved a grad student a lot of time!